Part 22- Unaccompanied Adult

At a truckstop somewhere in Montana, I found my bunk covered with stuff.

"It's mine, Dad," Gaura Narayana said. "I'm moving onto the girls' bus."

Manu appeared at the door, "We're a day behind schedule. He's got to catch his flight in Denver. The girl's bus is faster, it'll still be close."

Boys climbed over me, squeezing by to visit the truck stop. Each of them asked, "What's going on?"

"Gaura Narayana's leaving us."

"What?"

"Oh no!"

"Don't leave us, Gaura!"

I stayed out of his way so he could pack.

Radha Vinode and Mali began a send-off kirtan in the parking lot, and other boys joined. They sang the Hare Krishna melody with different words, "Gaura Narayana, Gaura Narayana. We're going to miss you, Gaura Narayana."

Girls smiled down from the windows in the silver bus, it was a golden moment for my son.

He stepped onto the greasy parking lot and set his bags down so we could hug. The boys circled us and echoed the girl's "Awwwwwww." Gaura was on his way to college.

"I'll see you in a couple weeks Dad."

***

Manu gave PJ a credit card, "There's no kitchen on your bus. Do your best to feed the boys. Be creative. It's a long, boring drive to Denver."

Although half my age, PJ is twice as responsible. He would help with the drive and keep everyone in line. The two of us shopped at Costco, "I've got an idea." I said, "I've done this before, cooking without a stove."

We bought instant rice and mixed it with hot water at a truck stop. Cans of beans were poured into a bowl and mixed with spices and the rice once it softened. The boys were given tortillas and allowed to heap as much sour cream, avocados, lettuce and chilis as they wanted on their burritos.

They declared this to be the best meal ever, "You guys should cook more often."

"Eat up." PJ said, "There's still plenty left."

***

The next day as I was driving through Wyoming, PJ's voice cut through the road noise, "LIsten up guys. We're stopping for fuel. Can one of you take care of the trash?" Mali raised his hand.

"And water?" Ananda volunteered.

"Who can dump the tanks?"

"My turn," Krishna Prema said. "I'll do it."

"And everyone else. Take care of your business quickly. Let's see how fast we can make it back on the road." I pulled up to the fuel station as PJ counted down.

"Five, four, three, two, one, go!"

He opened the door and checked his watch. "Can we do this in fifteen?"

Everyone jumped to their stations and we were back on the road in record time. Once I had the bus on the open road I called Sri Ram over. "You guys did good, that took teamwork. Tell everyone I'm proud of you—pass it all the way to the back."

Sri Ram went to each boy and congratulated them. I heard Krishna Prema say, "Let's see if we can beat that time at the next stop."

They celebrated the golden moment with cold burritos and watermelon.

***

At a desolate rest area, a guy cooked in an electric pot. I appreciated his innovation but Grappa gagged and ran out of the restroom with watery eyes. "How can he handle that smell? Is that meat?" He heaved on the dry grass and wiped his eyes. "I can't go in there. It's too strong."

"He's just cooking lunch."

"How could he eat something that smells like that?"

"There's things we eat that probably smell awful to him."

"I suppose so. But I can't go in there."

***

In Denver, I learned that Gaura Narayan had arrived in time to catch his flight the day before. From that point on, I was an unaccompanied adult.