𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 , 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒌𝒊𝒔𝒔.

[ CHAPTER TWENTY ! ]

last first kiss.

CLAY SAT AT THE metal table, looking at her reflection in the cool material. She didn't like what she saw. Her eye bruised and black and purple. A small cut over her nose, her cheekbones hollow, her jawline much sharper than before. She hadn't looked at herself in the mirror in a while, months maybe. She always avoided the one in her bedroom, and the one in her bathroom. She was frightened on what she may see. Her skin was more pale, and her skin looked as if it were deteriorating—she looked completely inhuman.

At once, the door buzzed, and then opened. And Fisk's tall figure was accompanied by a guard, in a dark grey uniform. Fisk had been wearing a large white jumpsuit, his hands cuffed together at his stomach as he sat down.

"Mr. Fisk," Clay caught her breath, "The job is done."

Fisk knew what the words meant—that Matt Murdock was dead. He raised an eyebrow, "You've done it?"

"I have," the lie ached on her tongue.

"How'd you do it?"

Clay looked up at him as she said the words, "Bullet to the head."

Fisk smiled at this, and his face lit with pride as well as satisfaction, "Good. Good, I'm proud of you, Azalea."

Clay managed to smile too, "Thank you." and it was silence for a minute or so. Until she cleared her throat, "Well, I should get going. It was nice seeing you again, Mr. Fisk."

Fisk nodded, smiling lightly. "Good work."

As the door buzzed, allowing Clay to exit, and as soon as she stepped out of the room, her stomach churned.

Walking down the hall, she felt her phone ring in her pocket. She read Mason's name, and immediately answered.

"Hey, uh, it's Matt. He's hurt. Badly."

CLAY RUSHED INTO Matt's apartment, frantic to see Matt and embrace him. She dropped her bag at the door and rushed past Elektra and Mason--who had been flirting--and into Matt's bedroom, where she saw Matt, ignoring Leo's repeated cries out to her, she approached him with a look full of worry. She couldn't hide it. She glanced over his injured and bruised body. She crossed her arms over her chest and tries to conceal her worry. And failing. "What the hell happened?" 

She hated the tone and pitch of her voice as she said it. So weak and vulnerable. 

"I'm fine," he attempted to stand up from the bed but grunted. Clay immediately went to his side and helped him up. But regret it. 

"I'm surprised you came." Matt sighed. 

Clay swallowed. She was about to say 'i was worried' but was already showing far too much vulnerability. "I didn't think I had a choice." 

The lie burned her throat. She felt so transparent. Matt walked out of the room and into his kitchen, and Clay didn't even realize all eyes were now on them. "God dammit, Matt. I was worried! Please just talk to me!" 

She slipped up. She swore she'd never confess anything to Matt after he left. Yet, here she was, in the middle of one. 

"Clay, I don't want to do this right now."