𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 , 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒗𝒊𝒗𝒐𝒓.

[ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ! ]

survivor.

WHEN CLAY WOKE up, she heard the familiar sound of monitors beeping. The familiar weight of sheets and blankets on top of her. She looked over at Leo, who was sleeping on the sofa located in the corner of the room. And she felt like she was in the same place as a few months ago, stuck in a hospital bed and unknowing how to walk. And when Leo awoke and rushed up to her, she felt a heavier wave of deja vu.

"Hey," He smiled, taking her hand in his. "Don't talk. You have to wait 48 hours."

Clay nodded.

"I'll go tell the others you're awake."

a/n : trigger warning !! mention of child molesting, sexual assault and grooming at the very end of this chapter, if that topic bothers you: read up until the part where Leo walks in and skip to the a/n provided at the bottom of the chapter xx

"DO YOU WANT to get married when we grow up?" Little Leo asked Clay, who had been laying her head in his lap, picking the grass beside them, but when she heard the question, she stopped and immediately looked up at him with a disgusted look on her face.

"Ew! Gross! I can't marry you, you're my best friend." Her words came out as a slur due to her front two teeth missing.

Leo frowned, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion, "But my mom said that when you love someone very much you marry them."

The six-year-old giggled, "Leo, you don't love me like that, though."

He was even more confused now. "But you're my best friend. I want to marry you. Then we can be together forever!"

"We can be together whether we're married or not, you only marry someone when you like like them, like you want to kiss them! And you don't want to kiss me."

Leo cocked his head to the side slightly, "But I do want to kiss you. You're very pretty, Clay."

The brunette blushed at this, smiling as she continued playing with the grass. "No you don't."

"LOVE ISN'T IMPORTANT at your age, princess." Clay smiled down at her little sister, Amelia, who only sighed. Already over the fact that she missed her so much while she was in the hospital the past two days.

"But you're in love aren't you?"

Clay chuckled, ready to respond when Alice pounced down onto the edge of the couch, causing Clay to groan. "She's in love with Matt."

Clay rolled her eyes playfully, "You're ten. What do you know about love?"

Alice scoffed, "More than you think, Clay."

Clay raised an eyebrow, "Oh yeah? Enlighten me, Alice."

Matt and Carissa then walked in, Carissa held her science project in hand, her smile full of pride.