𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 , 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓.

[ CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR ! ]

the morning after.

TWO HANDS GRIPPED Clay's arms, pulling them behind her back as she sobbed. She was being pulled away, strong arms pulling her, dragging her. She had such a hazy sense of reality, if she hadn't known better, she would have no idea where she was.

Leo was dead.

Matt was gone.

She was being accompanied by a herd of men and women in large black suits, 'FBI' written across their torsos.

She was being arrested.

She didn't care, though. All she could think about was the reoccurring vision of her best friend taking his last breath.

They were holding onto Clay so tightly, she was practically being tossed around. They were telling her to be quiet while shoving her into the back of a van, their hands lingered over her arms and legs, tying them down to the vehicle, but she didn't care. She was just focused on seeing Leo again.

And the last thing she felt was the feeling of a pinch in her neck before she drifted into the darkness.

CLAY AWOKE IN A dark room, her wrists being pried to the table with handcuffs, and her ankles attached to the chair she'd been sitting in. And when she looked to her left, she'd see a large window, with two men outside of it. She wasn't even sure how long she'd been sitting there, she knew she was in a police station. And currently, in an interrogation room.

Clay refused to blink, she was afraid she'd see Leo's face again. So, she was just staring at the metal table, glaring back at her reflection.

There were still heavy, dark bags underneath her eyes--which had red rims, and where the white should have been, was light pink.

It wasn't long before the door buzzed, and a man walked in. He was joined by a shorter woman with dark brown hair that went to her shoulders.

The man set his notebook on the table and sat down carelessly, while the woman sat down at a normal, polite pace.

"Hello, Miss Azalea," He smiled, it was small and Clay knew better than to think it was genuine. "I think you know why you're here, but, in case you don't..." He had a smug look on his face, it seemed like he was trying to remain professional, but just couldn't. "You have been arrested for the murder of Leonardo Parr."

Leonardo. No one had used that name for him in at least fifteen years. No one had called him that except for his parents.

"What happened tonight?" He waited, growing even smugger. "Ms. Azalea?"

Rage made its way down her body, starting with her head. She clenched her fists on the table but still refused eye contact.

"Did you kill Mr. Parr?"

Clay didn't look at him. She couldn't. She simply stared at the wall above their heads, not uttering a word, her expression blank. She blinked, and the horrifying image was flashing in her mind, they think she killed him.

Clay knew the system inside and out. Knew that any motion she did, any change in her breath would go against her. Even if she was telling the truth. They want her behind bars, they always have. And now, they finally have a reasoning to lock her up.

She tried standing up, but the chains only clattered. She clenched her jaw, shooting him a deadening glare as he smirked once again, folding his hands on the cold material of a table, "You see, Ms. Azalea, there's this masked vigilante that wears this black and red suit that they're calling Red Vengeance," He raised his eyebrow, "Ring a bell?" Clay remained silent. While the man scoffed, growing angrier by her silence. He rose from the table, placing the tip of his pen against his lips. "How did you kill him?"

She finally looked up at him, directly in the eye. "I want my lawyer."

The man chuckled. The sound was so dark and devious, Clay questioned whether he was a real detective or not. After all, Fisk had been wanting to take over the authorities for some time now. "You think you're entitled to lawyers?"

Clay's expression didn't change. "It's in the law."

"What the hell do you know about the law?" He questioned, crossing his arms over his chest, "All you are is a social worker."

Clay shrugged. "I know more than you apparently."

He didn't say anything. His jaw twitched, though. And his gaze darkened.

"So, where the hell are my lawyers?"

THE DOOR OPENED AND Matt immediately came into view. He didn't hesitate for a second. He set his papers on the table and embraced Clay. He held her--or what was there of her. All knew that Clay would never be the same after what she'd endured tonight.

Clay didn't move. She remained in her seat. Remained still. Her gaze stayed on the wall before her.

"Clay," His voice was soft. As if he was afraid he'd break her. He rested his hand on the side of her face, tilting her head to face him. "Sweetheart, look at me."

She finally looked at him, her eyes unfocused and dazed.

It had been silent for a moment before she mumbled, "You left me."

Matt shook his head immediately--repeatedly. "No. I didn't want to. Mason, she--she pulled me away. I wanted to stay with you. I didn't want you to be alone, and I especially didn't want you to get arrested."

Clay clenched her jaw, "I'm going to kill everyone." And then, she looked up at the camera in the corner, "I'm going to kill every single person here."

There was an uncertain darkness about her. A completely different Clay. And Matt was terrified.

"Clay," He whispered, grabbing her hand.

Clay looked back at him. "I'm going to kill anyone who gets in my way. Even if it's you."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Clay, please--just--I'll get you out of here. Okay?"

She didn't respond. Just watched him. Watched as fear sunk into his features.

The door buzzed again. And a guard motioned for him to leave.

Matt sighed, stood up, and pressed a gentle kiss to the top of Clay's head, "Don't do anything stupid."

And he left.

And within the few seconds before the guard reached her, her gaze locked on the pen Matt had left on the table. Quickly, she grabbed it and slid it in her sock before the man walked in and grabbed her by the arm.

At his demand, she stood and walked with him. He guided her down a dark hallway of women in cells and unlocked one with his free hand. And before she knew it, she was on the floor. He shoved her on the floor. As she got back on her feet, she heard the door shut behind her.

She pulled the pen from her sock and clicked it, "I am going to kill them all."