Chapter 19, Howling at the moon.

The arrival of Fandral with the news that the Bifrost had been repaired and Odin was willing to send warriors to Midgard was more than a little unexpected.
I knew Loki was worried about what that would mean for him personally and so was I.
But in the grander scheme of things, it was a blessing. Any help we would get in the battle against the army Beaumont and Halja were creating was welcome after all.
Sif returned to Jotunnhold and I contacted Richard.
A meeting was held that same day, not in London, but in Venice. This matter was bigger than any one faction.
The Council of Venice is composed of members of all three main factions: the Illuminati, Dragon, and Templars. It is a watch group that makes sure all of the factions are abiding by the 'gentleman's agreement' that allows the different factions to carry out their secret war to protect Midgard from supernatural threats and to keep the Secret World from the public.
I had never been to Venice before, like most agents I had only dealt with my own faction in the past.
Thor had changed into his Asgardian armour and Loki was looking resplendent in his Jotunn armour and circlet. Fandral wore his green and black Asgardian clothing, a quiver and bow on his back.
Sif had changed into a beautiful set of white and golden armour with a long blue cape. On her arm was a white shield decorated with stylised golden wings and a white-winged helmet crowned her long dark hair.
I had taken out my dress uniform, but Loki stopped me.
"Not today, darling. Today you will not be facing the Council as an agent but as the Goddess Queen of Jotunnheim."
In the end, he had pulled a knee-length blue dress and a long white cashmere cardigan out of my wardrobe. With Laufey's necklace and the earrings Loki had given me as a wedding gift, I looked elegant if not quite royal.
"It will do," I sighed.
"You are beautiful darling," Loki corrected. "Hold your head high and present yourself with confidence, and the image you project is all that people will see."

We were led to a large chamber. To my surprise, we were awaited not just by members of the various factions but by the representatives of the world's largest nations as well: public figures and politicians I recognised from the news on TV.
I nervously fidgeted with my sleeve. Loki took my hand in his, his warm and strong hand engulfing mine, and gave it a gentle squeeze before letting go again.
Formal introductions were made, we were seated and Fandral delivered his message of promised aid from the AllFather.
Appropriate appreciative platitudes were uttered, but beyond that, not much concrete was offered.
"They hesitate to offer a place to host Odin's armies, none of them wishes to give a foothold to an alien army on their territory," Loki murmured quietly behind his hand.
"I tire of this," Loki confessed to me after a while as he stood up.
"If I may? I understand the reluctance of those present to host Odin's armies. I would like to offer a different solution.
The area around Jotunnhold is classed as sovereign Jotunn territory according to treaties made in the past.
Jotunnheim would gladly offer to gracefully host the Einherjar until the threat that Hel poses to Midgard has been dealt with."
"Jotunnheim has no claim to any land here on earth, those treaties are old and were signed under duress," the representative of the United Kingdom, a well-known politician, objected.
Loki barked a short laugh.
"Do I truly hear the British criticising us for claiming territory won in the past by force?
Surely, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?
Would you like us to take a closer look at the various territories you claim under your flag and see how they came to be under your rule?"
The representative turned an ugly red but sat down again without a word. For a moment, the corner of Loki's mouth turned up into the slightest smirk, then he was serious again.
His voice carried strong and deep across the large chamber. I noticed he had not turned his microphone on, yet all present could hear him clearly.
I sat back in my chair, unable to hide a smile. He was about to deliver a speech, and there was almost nothing sexier to me than Loki orating.

"War is coming, ladies and gentlemen. Have no doubt about that.
Hel's armies will invade Midgard, and you are woefully unprepared."
Loki paced up and down, underlining his words with powerful gestures.
"Midgard does not have to stand alone.
We have millennia's worth of experience fighting Hel's armies.
Asgard's and Jotunnheim's vast experience and the full brunt of the might of the gods stand at your disposal if you are smart enough to accept it."
I held my breath. I was fully expecting someone to point out that all of this was a problem of Loki's making in the first place, or that the 'might of Jotunnheim' consisted of just the two of us.
But whether it was out of politeness, an unwillingness to offend the gods standing before them, or out of fear the proffered aid would be withdrawn, none of them did so.
I realised they still weren't sure what the relationship between Loki and Asgard was, and whether offending him meant offending the other gods too.
In the end, it was agreed upon that the Asgardian army would be hosted at the hold, which did not only provide a place for Odin's armies to stay but also reconfirmed the area around the hold as sovereign Jotunn territory.