Chapter 29, The prodigal son.

"I have no idea what to wear!" I panicked in front of my wardrobe.
"How about the flannel pyjamas with the piglets, it's comfortable and looks adorable on you," Loki suggested from the bed he was lounging on.
"I can't wear those to Asgard!" I yelled as I threw a pair of rolled-up socks at him, which he easily dodged.
"Oh, how about nothing? You go naked and we tell them it's Midgard's latest fashion!" Loki giggled. He had given up on making real suggestions a long time ago.
"Loki! You really aren't helping!" Carter glared at him.
"What are you wearing?" Jessie asked him curiously as she pulled another outfit out of my wardrobe and threw it on the floor with all the other clothes we considered 'not suitable'.
"I'm wearing my Jotunn armour," Loki shrugged. "It is appropriate for the consort of the Queen of Jotunnheim, and yet is antagonistic enough to annoy the rest of Asgard. It is a perfect choice."
"Maybe my dress uniform?" I mused, not for the first time.
"No!" The other three yelled.
"It would help if I knew what we are about to face," I sat down on the bed with a bump.
"Why? Because you have the perfect 'suitable to wear to my husband's execution' outfit stowed away just for the occasion?" Loki quipped.
"Loki!" I shook my head at him as I saw Jessie go pale.
"I am not about to be executed," Loki reassured her, "At least, I don't think I am."
"Maybe I should come too. Grandfather likes me, maybe I can talk to him," Jessie said worriedly.
"Absolutely not," Loki said quickly.
"If anyone tries to hurt a hair on Loki's head, I'll burn Asgard down myself," I said at the same time, sounding grimmer than I meant. I had meant it to reassure Jessie, but I realised belatedly that not only was I probably capable of doing so, but I truly would if I thought I was in danger of losing him all over again.
Loki eyed me for a moment and gave an almost imperceptible nod. I understood. If it would come to it we would both fight, and Jessie would be a liability.
"You stay here, I won't let anything happen to him," I promised Jessie.
"You won't even make it to Asgard unless you decide what to wear," Carter said dryly.
In the end, we decided on my knee-length blue dress and the long white cashmere cardigan. It looked elegant and vaguely regal, and the colour suited me.
It was also what Loki had suggested from the start.

"Will you just relax?" Loki muttered irritably as I fidgeted with my sleeve.
I glared at him, it had not escaped my notice he was just as nervously dry-washing his hands.
Suddenly, the Bifrost came down around us. Without a word, we both tightly gripped each other's hands.
I had never travelled by Bifrost before. One moment we were in Midgard, the next we stood in Heimdall's observatory, Himinbjörg.
It was like taking the world's longest rollercoaster ride. In less than a second.
"Ah, yes, perhaps I should have warned you about that," Loki said dryly, as he took a step away from me. "It takes some getting used to. If you are going to vomit, please avoid my boots, darling," he took another step to the side.
"I'm okay," I gasped, clutching my stomach as it heaved. "No... spoke too soon!" My stomach heaved again. I took a deep breath. Slowly my vision cleared. "No, I'm okay, I'm okay."
Loki eyed me with one eyebrow raised. "I'm okay," I said again as the contents of my stomach settled.
Curiously I looked around me.
"Welcome to Himinbjörg, your Majesty," spoke a deep voice. I turned around. The god behind me was tall, with long white hair and pale skin.
"I am Heimdall," he introduced himself with a bow.
"You don't look anything like Idris Elba," I blurted out.
"I am sorry to disappoint," the white god said dryly.
"Asgard isn't half as ethnically diverse as the movies will have you believe," Loki shrugged.
"No need to summon a carriage, old chap, I brought my own. Come along, darling," Loki twirled the keyring with his car on it around his finger.
"I have already arranged a carriage for you, it is waiting outside for your Majesty and your Highness," Heimdall said with just a hint of smugness.
"Of course you did. Because you just had to ruin my fun, didn't you? It is like a hobby for you!" Loki grumbled.
"Your Highness has ordered me many times in the past to 'find a new pastime beyond spying on people' if my memory serves me correctly. I'm merely obeying."
Now I was definitely sure Heimdall was being smug and having fun at Loki's expense. I bit back a smile.
Loki merely scowled at him.
"Well, it was nice to see you again, Heimdall. We must do this again in a few hundred years." Loki said insincerely. Without saying another word, he turned around and walked out of the observatory.
"Thanks for the teleport," I said quickly and ran after my husband.
"I was looking forward to driving my car through the streets of Asgard, it would have been amazing," Loki grumbled.
I didn't reply. Instead, I stopped and stared at the view ahead of me.
"Does Disney know Odin stole the whole set of the Thor movies?" I finally asked.
Loki grinned. "It does look like it, doesn't it? But I'm pretty certain in the movies the city is computer generated. This, my darling, is the real thing."
"Wow," I said softly as I tried to take in the view of the home of the gods that lay before me. "It really is a golden palace..."
"Yes, well, let's move along shall we? Better not to keep Odin waiting," the view wasn't anything Loki had not seen before, and he was too worried about what was to come to take joy in my admiration.
Loki seemed composed, but his hand trembled as he helped me into the open carriage pulled by a dozen white horses. I took his hand in mine as he sat down next to me and the carriage began to ride over the Rainbow Bridge towards Asgard.
"There are no bars or a cage on the carriage, that is a good sign," Loki said after a while. "But perhaps prepare to shield us, just in case we are greeted by an angry mob."