Part 4: the coup

Dumbledore slowly removed his half-moon glasses and pinched the bridge of his 144-year-old nose.

For the first time in many years, he truly felt as old as he biologically was. Not only did Harry Potter manage to disappear into thin air nearly two weeks ago, Dumbledore had no way of tracking, monitoring or returning him to the safety of his family.

His mother's family, he corrected himself viciously.

His understanding of the history of the Most Noble and Most Ancient House of Potter was that the Cadet Branches never interfered in the actions of the Head Branch, for fear of excommunication and financial estrangement. At least, that was the relationship of most Noble and Ancient Houses with foreign branches.

"Can nothing be done to find the poor boy?" Asked a tearful Molly Weasley over the bickering and murmuring. She and her family had been deeply devastated by Harry's disappearance. "Who knows what those Dark wizards will do to him!"

Severus snorted loudly from across the table. "You obviously do not know much of the Potter Family's history. 'Dark wizards' indeed!"

Dumbledore's eyebrows disappeared in his hairline. Since when was Severus interested in the Potter Family history? Maybe he researched the family to better know his enemy, James Potter.

"And you know?" Sirius snarled at the greasy-haired man from the other head of the table - which was, Dumbledore subconsciously noted, his rightful position as Head (if not Lord Apparent) of House Black in his own Family Manor.

Sirius turned to Molly with slightly narrowed eyes. "And how dare you even insinuate that the Potters were anything other than Light witches and wizards!"

"Much like the Blacks were anything other than Dark?" Molly smoothly rebutted.

There was a loud intake of breath by many at the table. Sirius sat back as if physically struck by Molly's words. Dumbledore knew that many members had had difficulty accepting Sirius' innocence since, and especially if, they still carried the age-old prejudices about the House of Black. He could feel the antagonistic murmurs reviving up again as the tension at the table peaked.

"No family, of noble blood or ignoble, is all of one thing or another. The world is not divided between Black or Potter, Dark or Light, bad or good." Severus said in his most reasonable, albeit condescending tone. Albus nodded mentally, but as he made to speak, Severus continued. "Any educated reading of the Potter Family history shows that their family did not hold to such idiotic beliefs. The Potters were and are a Grey family, intermarried with those who were magically powerful regardless of whether they considered themselves Light, Grey, Dark or smart enough not to throw themselves in a box."

Albus nearly couldn't hold back the chuckle at the dumbfounded looks around the table. From the rather brilliantly delivered explanation or at Severus' roundabout way of complimenting the Potters, he wasn't sure. Molly, however, had turned redder than her husband's hair at the belittlement.

Grey Families were a thing of the past figuratively speaking. With the last two wizarding wars, most of the original Grey families declared themselves Light, Dark or Neutral to avoid persecution for their mixed allegiances. The Grey was scorned and tabooed in Europe for being opportunists.

"Now, now, Severus. Hundreds of years of Dark magic being used to harm others is hard for some people to look past," Dumbledore said, placing his glasses back on. "The history of the extended Potter family is... troubling at many points, but they have remained consistent and balanced." Whatever that even means.

"Grey?" Minerva murmured. "Charles and James were definitely Light. Lily was-"

"Lily was just like my Aunt Dorea Potter, née Black, James' mother: Grey to Dark Grey." Sirius murmured as if disappointed.

"And yet, it was her Grey to Dark Grey magic that kept your precious godson alive!" Severus thundered, his magic causing black sparks to fly within the room. His defense of Lily Potter took many aback.

Sirius winced and stared despondently at his hands. Remus patted him comfortingly on the shoulder.

"Albus?" Minerva asked almost pleadingly after a moment of silence. Her face was pale, as if the foundation of her beliefs, or at least her exaltation of the deceased Potters, had crumbled.

Dumbledore's mind sped at a frightening pace through multiple scenarios depending on his response to this sensitive inquiry. He decided that no matter how he answered, someone would get upset. Better to change the topic.

"Despite what we believe to know of the intermediate Potter family, we do not know the intentions and affiliations of Virgil Potter, who has quite suddenly and without warning removed young Harry from our care. It is imperative that we bring Harry back under the protection of the blood wards as soon as possible."

Seeing multiple affirmative nods, Dumbledore pushed forward with the rest of the night's agenda with all of the energy of a conductor through a difficult musical piece with one vital instrument missing.

It was two hours, and much discussion, later that Dumbledore ended the meeting with a heavy sigh.

Tom was currently, unnaturally quiet, the Ministry in denial and the person destined to keep the Dark from reigning over Britain was missing.

It was at times like these where he wished he could switch places with his older brother Aberforth and merely work behind a bar. He quickly thanked everyone for their hard work and excused himself.

While hurrying to see whether the silver instruments in his office were finally able to locate Harry, Dumbledore completely missed the conspiratorial glance that passed between a stoic-looking Sirius Black, an exhausted Remus Lupin, a surprisingly furious Bill Weasley and a smug Severus Snape.

The four moved as one towards the kitchen door as if of the same mind. Their collective escape from the room was rendered impossible by a small commotion.

The sudden appearance of a large lynx Patronus startled everyone still in the kitchen. Kingsley's booming voice spoke as if rushed, "Dementors at Privet Drive. Potter's family has been Kissed. Blood wards are down."

Sirius and Remus stared at one another. "Dementors?" Snape turned to the shadows, conjured parchment, and a pencil, before scratching something quickly and away from curious eyes.

"That poor boy!" Molly cried into the chest of her husband. There was a hectic bustle as Dumbledore was informed and started an impromptu second round of the meeting.

"Poor indeed." Snape murmured as slipped past Remus on his way out the kitchen. His theatrically flapping robes allowing him to slip his note to Remus unnoticed by anyone.