Part 7: the black side

It was with a weary sigh that Sirius sat down at the breakfast table in his Family House.

No one had heard anything from Dumbledore or Shacklebolt since yesterday morning. Tonks had repeatedly told everyone all she knew.

Dumbledore had messaged them via Patronus to be ready to inform the Wizengamot that it had been their Patronuses cast that night. She said they had waited nearly thirty minutes, during which what seemed like the entire Wizengamot entered the room, chatting excitedly about the summons from a new Lord.

She reported that after around five minutes Shacklebolt and over 20 other Senior Aurors were summoned by Madame Bones to guard the doors, and, after a while, an emergency signal came and more Aurors were called in, with five Aurors guarding the doors. Tonks recalled hearing screams and shouts from within the courtroom, but she had not been able to see much before her fellow Aurors closed the doors.

Many within the Order seemed to forget that, as an Auror, Tonks was trained to quickly and thoroughly observe and recall minute details, and they tried to squeeze more information out of her. After repeating the same information and answers several times, Tonks stormed off in frustration, leaving the Order to hours of fruitless speculation.

I should have just taken Prongs Jr. and disappeared. Why on Earth did I listen to Dumbledore… again?

Sirius had asked himself the same thing many times this summer. As Harry's magical godfather, it was his duty to care for Harry. And twice, he had stupidly allowed Dumbledore to impose on his guardianship. The first time Sirius gave Harry to Hagrid who was following "Dumbledore's orders" and then again Sirius listened to the old goat after Voldemort's return.

"It is imperative that Harry returns to his relatives to charge the Blood wards. I'm sorry, Sirius, but I can't let him come to Headquarters until late summer." Dumbledore had said to him in a sympathetic voice nearly two months ago.

It almost as if he doesn't care about Harry as a person rather just as a means to end Voldemort.

Fortunately, it was not only Sirius who saw it so. Early in the summer, just as the new Order members had been inducted, Sirius had walked in on Remus and Bill Weasley having a rather heated discussion with Snivell- Severus regarding Harry, Dumbledore and the Prophecy.

"If anyone gets hurt on this silly mission, I plan on resigning from the Order immediately!" Bill Weasley's voice was muffled by the sitting room's door.

"William…"

"No, Remus. I only joined because I thought we would be actively fighting against You-Know-Who, not 'guarding' weapons!"

"Don't you dare call Harry that! Dumbledore truly cares for him as if he were his own family."

"What makes you think I was referring to Harry?" Bill said, smiling in victory.

Remus ducked his head slightly. "I know what everyone is saying about Dumbledore leaving Harry with his relatives. But it is in his best interests! And Albus has seen to it that-."

A derisive snort met the rather enthusiastic praise of Dumbledore. "Remus, I've come to respect you greatly over the past weeks, but you are unfortunately so far in Dumbledore's pocket that you've seemed to have lost your grasp of reality."