Part 5: When the Potters changed Britain

Dumbledore heaved a sigh that seemed to resonate through his entire office. Fawkes gave a comforting croon from his perch, but it did little to help Dumbledore. He threw the appropriate amount of Floo powder into the fireplace and stepped through to the atrium of the Ministry.

Harry's trial before the entire Wizengamot had been re-confirmed by a member of the Houses partaking in the trial, who was also an old acquaintance of his.

He hurried through the wand check and then through the familiar corridors of the Ministry of Magic, barely noting the whispers and the not so respectful gestures.

If Harry had only talked to me before he charged off to Australia… How did the letter even get through wards? Once he comes back to Britain, I will have to re-ward Grimmauld Place. Maybe mentioning his relation to Sirius would guarantee his cooperation until school begins again.

Dumbledore's musings and progress through the Ministry were interrupted and halted by a Ministry owl bearing a letter and screeching as it tried to catch up with him. With a sigh, Dumbledore changed his route. The letter stated the new time for the trial and its relocation from Madame Hopkin's office to Courtroom Ten, which he hadn't seen the interior of since the last of the Death Eater trials shortly after Harry vanquished Tom.

He quickly sent a Patronus message to Kingsley Shacklebolt to make his way to the courtroom, in case his and Nymphadora Tonks' word as witnesses were needed.

It was a slightly flustered and out of breath Dumbledore who opened the door to the courtroom, noting with a twinge of worry that the trial had already begun.

Dear Merlin, they will try him in absentia!.

"Defense for the accused, Albus Wulfric Percival Brian Dumbledore. Unfortunately, I just now received a notice regarding the change in venue and time-"

"Ah, and to the rescue at the last minute." A strong but young voice called from near the Accused Chair. Dumbledore spotted two figures standing by the chair but could not see the faces. "Thank you for joining us, Headmaster Dumbledore, but your services are not needed."

The figure then turned his attention to the judging body, ignoring Dumbledore's presence like one would an unnecessary pawn upon a chess board.

"Selected members of the esteemed Wizengamot, I must beg your pardon on behalf of my client, but the grounds and evidence upon which this trial is based are not substantial enough for a trial of this size and magnitude-." The silken voice of the second figure was cut off rudely by the croak-like cough of the Minister's Undersecretary, Dolores Umbridge.

"I beg your pardon, Solicitor Wells, but the evidence is quite clear that your client unlawfully used two spells in the vicinity of muggles. Students usually learn the consequences of such transgressions by the end of their first year. As such, I motion to have the objection overturned."

A nod from Minister Fudge overruled the well-known solicitor's objection.

Dumbledore's stomach clenched uncomfortably as his mind quickly analyzed the situation from more perspectives than the human brain should be possible of.

"Thank you, Madame. Your assessment of the circumstantial evidence will be revisited later on." The second figure said with a pretty vicious smile. Dumbledore wondered what the solicitors had up their sleeves.