Chapter 27: The Potter family

"And that, my children is the story of Lord Henry Potter and the Downfall of Voldemort."

The 153-year-old Dowager Hermione Potter finished the tale she had told many times before, however this time to a new batch of Potters. She loved talking about the Family history especially the history she had experienced first-hand. She just wished her beloved Harry were still around to tell the stories with her like they used to do. His passing three years prior had hit her pretty hard.

His portrait doesn't do him justice, she thought sadly.

"Grandmama?" One of the youngest of the bunch asked, having listened to her tell the story of their former Lord of their House for the past hours. "The history books say that Grandpa Harry did it all alone."

Hermione sighed. It was true, and those historical retellings of the battle had driven Harry up the wall.

"Many of the authors of those books were not even born at the time. Most wanted to make your grandpa into some sort of supernatural hero, and it is not true. Harry was many things - brave, powerful, intelligent and often courageous, but he was also only human."

The child gaped at her. It was clear that he too idolized his… Well, Hermione wasn't quite sure how the sandy-haired boy was related to Harry or even her. He seemed to be of the Longbottom blood.

Did one of Neville's marry into the Potter family again?

It was a running family joke that Neville had never wanted his children to marry Harry's, yet there seemed to be a new Potter-Longbottom wedding every generation or so.

That's what happens when you have eight children! Poor Hannah Longbottom. I don't know how she managed.

Potter Manor had grown into a hub for Potters worldwide after their defeat of Riddle. Even more than a century after the battle, the manor housed over a hundred Potters and relatives. Harry had even spent a large fortune on expanding the manor some decades ago into a small castle so that everyone who wanted to live there could do so comfortably.

He always wanted a big family. I don't think even he knew how he was related to everyone despite his liberal use of Family Magik!

The Potter family had grown by leaps and bounds. Many of the older generation who lived under or remembered the tyranny of Lord Hardwin Potter, Harry's great-great-grandfather had been happy to leave England and escape from him. Harry's Lordship, his fame and endless dedication to his family had reversed the exodus, mentally and physically.

Hermione only wished that she could have provided him with more than two sons.

After Davy, their youngest was born in 2000, their family mediwitch revealed that the difficult pregnancy had been their last. It had broken Harry's heart. His dream had been to have enough children to make a Potter-only Quidditch team. To compete with Neville most likely. He never said anything but words of comfort to her when the topic had come up, but she knew it had torn him apart.

He made up for the lack of children by showering the two they had with even more love and affection. There were times where Hermione even felt like a proverbial third or fourth wheel in their immediate family due to the bond between her boys, but she had never spoken a word of it to Harry about it.

"Grandma Mione," spoke another child, Gordon Jr. His relation to her was much less ambiguous since he was the son of her great-nephew Gordon Black-Potter. "Can you tell another story, please?"