Part 15: In the mind

"There is no rule book to becoming the Potter," Uncle Virgil said softly to Harry and Henriette at their first Family Magik lesson under the time-bubble. "The most important thing a Lord or Lady of our House must do is learn from their predecessors. Unfortunately, our Head Line has been all but destroyed due to the last civil war in magical England." He threw a sad look at Harry, the Last of that Line.

Hopefully not for long, he thought with a fleeting glance at Henriette.

FC's plan to get young Henry to open up by appealing to the boy's moral compass and valorous honesty worked like a charm, while the Family Magik relaxed and soothed the teen. Henry had given them a rather jarring and unedited version of his life so far and Virgil had had the immediate feeling that either Destiny or this Light Lord Albus Dumbledore - or both - was planning to end the Potter Head Line.

If Harry doesn't marry soon, Virgil had thought then, the chances of there being a continuation of that Line are minimal with the rate at which he finds himself in dangerous positions.

Neither Henry nor Henriette questioned the fact that he decided to have Henriette attend Henry's lessons, though most of his children had given him knowing looks. It wasn't too far-fetched to hope that the two Lines, his and Charlus', merge through a matrimonial union between the two raven-haired teens. He could feel the Family Magik pushing the two together, opening them up to one another… preparing them for a possible marriage.

Since Harry had woken up under the time bubble, he and his cousin had been inseparable. Virgil was sure that the only time that they had indeed separated for had been to go to the toilette or to bed.

The two gave him hope for both the Head Line and the future of the Australian Line. He was, through his duties to one and Headship of the other, deeply invested in the future of both of the teenagers.

"Therefore, you will be learning from the memories and portraits of the Lord and Lady Potters we can find. The portraits will test your knowledge and retention."

---☆---

Harry's POV of the memory

A little cheer went through Harry. He had heard about Family Grimoires from Henriette. They were supposed to be vast collections of spells, wisdom and secret adventures left by Heads of House and prominent ancestors for their progeny. He was worried that his training would consist of lessons out of a book. He knew he wasn't the best student in the world, and nowhere near as academically disciplined as students like Hermione or apparently Henriette.

His strengths lie in practical applications. He could spend hours reading a book and never understand the spell, but after a few tries, he usually had it.

His studies at Hogwarts had proven such. He always did doubly well in practical exams compared to theory-based ones.

I wonder if I will learn from my father, grandfather or great-grandfather… Henriette said she's seen the portrait of Charlus Potter in Uncle Virgil's study. The portraits of all Lords and Ladies Potter should be in the Hall of Potters at Potter Manor.

"For the past few weeks, we've intensively chronicled our ancestors since the birth of the First Potter, Leopold Potter in 1271. We've discussed and debated who they were, browsed their memories and learned their stories. Today's lesson," Uncle Virgil said in his gravelly voice, "is a lesson in Family Magik. Henriette knows a bit about this already, but there are certain aspects that not even I am privy to as Head of this branch of our family. There is no simple spell or charm that allows you to receive knowledge without damaging your own mind. For this reason, I've asked my father's portrait to spend the next few days explaining in detail the Family Magik."