Part 9: secret meetings

Harry shook a few hands and simply ignored the rest of the meeting. Inwardly, he was secretly pleased. Despite being unnaturally tired and overwhelmed by the numerous meetings and discussions, he had managed to spin a somewhat credible plan of action. He mentally patted himself on the back for his subterfuge.

It was indeed the official plan of the Ministry. If Dumbledore decided to fact-check, most likely with the liberal use of illegal Legilimency, he would find that Harry had offered his Order a more detailed version than anyone else had.

Harry had, however, left out much. It had been unanimously agreed upon by him and his family not to throw Dumbledore any bones regarding the horcruxes or other plans not mentioned to the Ministry. The Headmaster obviously had his own plans and information that he refused to share either with Harry or in the selective war sessions he had been invited to.

As the meeting ran out of steam following Snape's reports, Harry quickly excused himself before Dumbledore could corner him and make him slip up. He believed the old man had a good heart and golden intentions, but his horrible methods had destroyed more than one life. Harry knew that if the man interrogated him, he would most likely reveal and ruin the plans his family had due to lack of sleep.

So intent was Harry on avoiding Dumbledore that he literally ran into Sirius.

"Whoa, kiddo!" The thinner man said, steadying Harry with outstretched hands on at the base of the staircase. "Come here. There's something I want to show you."

"I'm sorry, Sirius. I'm not at all interested in meeting Little Padfoot," Harry said seriously but allowed the man to lead him away from the stairs. "I would happily look into finding you a girl or guy to have fun with."

"Ha ha," Sirius said without humor. Remus, who had apparently been following them, burst out laughing. "Shut up, Moony!"

"It's not my fault that you look ready to hump your mother's umbrella stand." The werewolf deadpanned.

Sirius flushed red. With averted eyes, he murmured, "I'm not that obvious, or desperate!"

"You are too!" Harry and Remus said in unison before looking at one another and sharing a chuckle at Sirius' expense.

"Well laugh it up! I'd like to see either of you go over a decade without sex." He growled, sounding every bit the Grim he could turn into at will.

"Not everyone is as sexually… addicted as you, Padfoot." Remus said as Sirius opened the door to a small sitting room on the ground floor.

Harry suddenly had an inkling of what was going on as he saw Snape, Bill, and Hermione waiting more or less patiently on him. Sirius' last letter had informed him of the Order dissenters' opinion of Dumbledore's methods and leadership. Harry wondered briefly why Hermione was there, but he assumed that Sirius invited her to make Harry feel more at ease.

Snape, as soon as Remus closed the door, began casting a number of spells to prevent any eavesdropping. Hermione looked close to drooling at the man's spell repertoire and at the number of unknown spells. Harry saw her internal turmoil, wanting to discuss the spells with Snape but simultaneously wanting to question Harry.

As soon as Snape finished and nodded to Sirius, it was surprisingly Bill who broke the silence.

"What are you hiding from us?" Bill asked hotly. "Your little speech was riveting and all, but there were definitely holes in your story."