fourteen

Amity woke up to the sound of what seemed to be a plate breaking. Her fight or flight response kicked in and she sprinted down the stairs to see what it was.

Edric and Emira stood over a bunch of shattered glass and ceramics on the floor, Amity sighed then held the bridge of her nose. "What the- what happened?" She bent down and took a piece of the glass, pointing it at Edric and Emira.

Emira gave a sly grin, looking over at Edric from the corner of her eye. "It was him!" She pointed at him, a cheeky grin making way instead.

Amity raised an eyebrow and looked at Edric, who out his hands up in defense. "Hey, hey hey! Let's not point fingers here.. it wasn't me!"

"I don't know if I believe that." Amity deadpanned, making Emira quietly snicker.

Edric gave a hurt look and a dramatic gasp. "How could you, Mittens! Blaming sverything on your big brother.. shame on you!" He cried, putting a hand over his chest. "Shame on you." He repeated.

"Ugh, get a grip, Ed." Emira rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. "Just pick it up and get it over with." She waved, leaving the kitchen.

Amity sighed and bent down to the floor, trying to help Edric out with picking up the glass, but before she got a chance to even put a finger on a piece of glass Emira ran right back in.

"Nope! Mittens, as our guest I'm not allowing you to clean Ed's mess up! Shoo. Go get ready to ice skate. Dress warm and nice. Who knows? Maybe you'll meet a girl~." She grinned. "Maybe better than that Luz, going to homecoming with a different girl.." Emira mumbled the last part, but Amity and Edric heard anyway.

"But-"

"No buts, go upstairs! Get ready, Mittens!" Emira pushed Amity put of the kitchen, who sighed and went up the stairs into her room.

She checked her phone, it was early afternoon and Luz still hadn't texted her. Maybe her and Valentina stayed up late, resulting in Luz waking up late. Maybe that was it. Hopefully that was it. Hopefully Luz didn't forget to text her like she said she would...

No, don't be so pessimistic! Amity shook her head, as if trying to shake away all of her doubts and worries.

To take her mind off of things she went over to her wardrobe and picked out clothes to wear for the day.

She settled on a white hoodie and black leggings. There wasn't much point in dressing nice just to go ice skating anyway. It's not like she could wear a skirt or a dress because she knew she'd fall and bruise her legs.

Instead of dressing nice, she decided she'd do her makeup. Nothing too flashy, just her usual wing and natural look.

Amity sat down before her vanity, pinning her hair up out of her face and just as she was about to apply primer, her phone buzzed.

She picked it up and read the text.

noceda
good morning!! how was your first night at edric and emiras?
i feel like i should tell you something, because i dont want you to find out from anyone else but me.

Uh oh. Amity's heart began racing and she felt her chest tighten. She knew what was coming, and she was afraid she'd start crying.

what is it?

The typing bubble popped up, and Amity quickly set her phone on silent and slammed it face down onto the vanity. Amity told herself she wouldn't look at it until just before she went to sleep. She wouldn't let anything ruin today. The twins said they'd have fun together, and that's exactly what they'd do.

Taking a deep breath in, Amity continued her makeup. She had to hold her hand with the other to stop it from shaking as she did her wing, and she figured it was from the stress of what Luz was going to say.