Chapter 1: Previously Set

"So, what are you planning on doing this weekend?" Asked Lumini, curiously. "Nothing much, might just relax at home. Right now I really wanna sit back and take a break." replied Dawn. "Seriously Dawn? You're gonna sit on your ass the entire weekend? Come hang out with me! It'll be fun!" Dawn paused before answering. "Look, Lumini. I'd absolutely love to, but I don't know if I really have the energy for anything this weekend.. Especially after the amount of stress and work we've had this week." Lumini sighed. "Alrighty then. You're gonna miss out though!" Dawn chuckled. "What would I miss out on? Us playing uno and you raging?" "That was ONCE! You were cheating anyway! You somehow saw my cards!" "Lumini, you spread your cards out, FACING UP all over the table, how would I not see them?" "Stop shaming me! I didn't realize!" Dawn went silent and stared at Lumini. "Lumini. You stared your cards for a solid 30 seconds before realizing." Lumini paused. "Well! Whatever! What're we even doing right now? It doesn't necessarily seem like we're going anywhere right now.." said Lumini, in a confused tone. "The boss told us to head to Sector B. Said he had some testing we needed to fulfill." replied Dawn, monotonically. "Oh, I see. But what even are we testing though? Did he not tell you?" "Nope. Didn't say a singular word. Just that we need to head here for an unknown reason." "Strange. But whatever then. Whenever we're done with this testing stuff, wanna get some food? I'm famished!" said Lumini. "Sure, why not? I could go for a bite too." "Alright! It's settled then! After the testing we'll head to the cafeteria and get some food." After that, Dawn and Lumini continued walking to the area they were assigned, keeping up the small talk. Eventually though, they arrived to it. "Do we go into the room? It doesn't say anything beside the room code." asked Lumini. "I guess so? They did tell me the code was B3, and it does say that on the door." replied Dawn. "Alright, ladies first!" "Lumini I swear, if you make that joke one more time you'll regret it!" said Dawn, as she started walking into the room, Lumini following right behind. Dawn then noticed something about the room. "This place.. is entirely empty? What's the point in this test?" said Dawn, confused. "Maybe we need to find som-" Lumini was then cut off by a voice coming from a speaker in the room. "Hello, Dawn and Lumini. You have been called into this room for a specific reason. You are to test the human reaction to these glasses."  Suddenly, a small hole in the floor appeared, and a pedestal with purple shutter glasses arose from it. "What is this test for? What're we doing?" asked Dawn. "One of you is to put these glasses on, and see if it has any transformation effects on you. I already mentioned it previously, but I guess you hadn't listened."  "We have to put them on?! Why couldn't you get a tester? Why do we have to?" "Incase of the chance of a transformation incident, we want to see what would happen if someone with an intelligence higher than a tester were to be infected." Dawn paused for a second. "I guess that makes sense, but why did it have to be us? Why not another person?" "Because out of facility workers, you two seem to have nearly the highest IQ, around #4 and #5." "Oh. I guess that explains it." replied Dawn. Lumini then butted in. "Curious, but who's intelligence is higher? Has to be mi-" "Dawn's intelligence was scored higher than yours." "Oh." The voice from the speaker then continued speaking. "Dawn, as you have the higher intelligence we want to test it on you first, then we'll test Lumini if it has no effects on you." Dawn froze, not speaking for a few seconds, but stopped after being nudged by Lumini. "Earth to Dawn?? You have to go and test those glasses now." said Lumini. "Oh, right. Sorry. I spaced out for a second." "You are to put the glasses on, and leave them for about 30 seconds. If nothing happens, give it to Lumini and they'll do the same." "Alright. I'll put them on." said Dawn, still a little fearful of what might happen." Dawn put the glasses on. Suddenly, the voice from the speaker spoke up again. "Lumini, we'd advise you step back incase of an event of transformation." Lumini took a few steps back, increasing Dawns fear level by a few notches. 30 seconds had passed by, and the voice from the speaker spoke again. "Alright, Dawn you may take the glasses off now. You can pass them to Lumini."  Dawn took off the glasses and proceeded to hand them to Lumini. Lumini proceeded to do the same as Dawn and nothing happened, once again. "That concludes the testing. You may exit the room now. Thank you for your cooperation, Dawn and Lumini." "Let's go, Lumini, I'm starving!" said Dawn, excited to be out of that room. "Alright! I'll follow." Dawn and Lumini began walking toward the cafeteria. On the way, Lumini brought up a conversation. "Hey, Dawn?" "Yeah?" "If that test was based on intelligence, why didn't they get the higher scored people? Would't that provide a better test?" Dawn paused for a split second before answering. "I mean, you're somewhat right. I guess they didn't choose them because they need their intelligence for testing, and security ideas. We don't necessarily provide that much help in the facility besides controlling testing and who goes where, y'know?" replied Dawn. "I guess that makes sense. Still weird how nothing happened. I expected for you to get transformed the second you put those on!" Dawn gently pushed Lumini. "I genuinely was scared though. I really didn't know what would've happened if I did get infected. I have a feeling i'd be killed on the spot, y'know?"  "Yeah, I get that. If you had been transformed then I wouldn't know what to do, especially considering you're the one who landed me this job." replied Lumini. "Alright, well offtopic but are you still hungry? Cause I know I am." said Dawn, trying to change the topic." "I can eat, yeah!" "Then what're we waiting for? Let's head to the cafeteria and grab a bite." "Alright, I need to do something really quickly, i'll see you there!" said Lumini, walking in the opposite direction of the cafeteria. "Alright. I'll save you some food!"
Dawn proceeded to walk toward the cafeteria, whilst Lumini walked away.
"Let's see.." said Lumini, whilst looking at a sheet of paper. "So if I flick that lever, it should work.. Alright time to see." Lumini walked toward the power room, and flicked a singular switch. "INITIATING COMPLETE BLACKOUT IN 20 MINUTES. SWITCH OFF THE SWITCH IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL." said a voice coming from a speaker above. "Perfect! Alright, time to lock this place up and head to Dawn." After Lumini said that, she closed the doors leading into the power room and walked toward the cafeteria. Whilst walking toward the cafeteria, he bumped into a higher ranking scientist. "Watch where you're going, low class." said the scientist. "I'm so sorry.. uh.." Lumini looked closer at the name tag of the scientist. "..Zerine!" Zerine didn't glance at Lumini, and just walked away whilst mumbling something under her breath. "God, those high ranks! They can be such dickweeds sometimes." Lumini thought to himself. Lumini continued walking toward the cafeteria, eventually arriving. "Hey Dawn! What'd you get us?" said Lumini, enthusiastically. "Oh hi Lumini! Sadly not much, most of the food was taken. I did manage to score us both a burger though!" replied Dawn. "Sweet! But it does kinda suck that you didn't manage to get much, but that's alright!" "Alright well, if you're gonna stand there instead of sitting down with me, can I just take both?" joked Dawn. Lumini walked toward the table and sat down, immediately taking a bite of the burger that Dawn placed in front of her. "Damn, kinda dry, were there any sauces?" "Sadly no, but anyway, what were you doing earlier?" "Oh, nothing much, just some wo-" Lumini was then cut off by blaring of an alarm and a voice coming through the speakers. "BLACKOUT INITIATED. ALL POWER IN THE FACILITY HAS BEEN CUT OFF. PLEASE REMAIN PATIENT AND STAY CALM, AS IT WILL RETURN SHORTLY." After the voice finished speaking, all the lights cut out. Dawn got up and looked around. "The hell?!" "Why'd the lights cut out!? Why is there a blackout!?" Dawn, who slightly began panicking.