o. chapter three

CHAPTER THREE

Rhaenyra was haunted by ghosts too

Faint memories of her mother in her birthing bed, with blood oozing out of her cold body. She was there, hiding in a small closet and reeling as her father orders Aemma's death. It was treachery — a memory that brought her the deepest of pains. 

She holds her book in her hand, pretending to read it. It was what her Septa wanted anyways. 

From behind her, Alicent marches with her hands behind her back, watching as the Princess continued ignoring her. "Are you still sad?" Alicent's voice inquires peculiarly, her butt firmly planted on the roots beside Rhaenyra. 

Most of these days, the Princess kept to herself, going as far as ignoring Alicent. "When you lose your mother, you become sad forever." Rhaenyra mumbled sharply and her friend's features soften slightly. "I guess I know that pain too," she muttered underneath her breath. 

Her mother died when she was a child, and her father never married again. Others called it love, but Alicent chose to believe that her father never felt love. 

Rhaenyra's face softens as she gazes from her book, her right hand reaching towards her friend's lap. "I'm sorry," she apologizes with a soft frown and Alicent smiles sadly. Rhaenyra was lucky to feel the warmth of a mother, even when it was for a short time — Alicent didn't have the same luck. "It's alright," she replies while leaning on the thick branches of the tree. 

It was their spot. 

Their sacred new beginning. 

"I'm sorry for shutting you out too," Rhaenyra apologized once more, the weight of her guilt becoming to hard to bear. Alicent was a beautiful friend — she never asked for anything, and was always a shoulder to lean on. "I abandoned you when you needed me the most," she added while leaning her head on her shoulder. 

Alicent chuckles at her childishness, "You shouldn't apologize for that, you lost your mother. I think I should've done more to comfort you." she comforts while playing with the rings on the Princess' fingers. All of those rings were given by her. 

Rhaenyra chuckles loudly — a snort coming out of her mouth. "Fuck, why do we keep apologizing?" she laughs hanging her head in joy. It was the first time in months she could allow herself to be happy, and Alicent was the sole reason of it. "But I'm really sorry," Alicent whines earning another laugh from the Princess. 

"I am more sorry." Rhaenyra argued and Alicent rolls her eyes, another round of their laughter filling the entire castle. 

—— 

The entirety of Viserys' council laid hidden in the crowd, for an unknown event that he told no one about. He only required everyone to attend. "Another one of my father's soirees." Rhaenyra muttered underneath her breath as she guided her best-friend towards one of the buffet tables. They only had appetizers much to her dismay. 

"He's probably holding it in Princess Maegelle's name," Alicent replied trying to keep her voice low. There were guards in front of the table, but none of them seemed to get paid enough to worry about the two ladies stealing the treats. "Or announcing my uncle's exile, heaven knows that he's done too much." Rhaenyra spat remembering his recent 'joke'. 

He called her brother 'heir for a day' and laughed with his whores. 

He knew nothing about the pains of childbirth. If his stillborn brother, Aegon, was offered the same jests — he'd be just as mad. 

"Is Princess Maegelle really that beautiful?" Alicent asks curiously while stuffing a few lemon-cakes down her throat. It was unladylike, but she didn't care because the Lannisters always brought the best pastries. Rhaenyra's face turns into another scowl, feeling jealousy creep from the bottom of her throat. 

"Why don't you see for yourself?" she muttered while turning her attention back to the pastries. Alicent obeys and turns around, seeing the dignified Lady of Winterfell talking to a nameless lord. Her mouth opens in shock as she basks in her glory. 

House Targaryen's colors were black and red, but she looked endearing with her mantle clad in dark-blue. Maegelle Targaryen reminded her of a flower, the ones that grew near the Weirwood Tree — the exotic kind. 

Rhaenyra looks from behind her shoulders and sees her friend staring at her sister. "Ali," she called out garnering her attention. "Right," Alicent muttered while filling her goblet with water.

 Then suddenly, Ser Otto touches her shoulder's harshly — signaling her to pay attention to the words of the king. "Alicent, Princess Rhaenyra, I advice the both of you to listen to his majesty's announcement." he urged the same way a friend's parent would, before vanishing in the midst of the crowd. 

The Princess rolls her eyes, already tired of the Hand's cheap antics. "I think we should listen," Alicent beseeched, taking Rhaenyra by the elbows and dragging her near the throne. "Fine," she whispers underneath her breath and her eyes meet her sister's. 

Maegelle wore a mask of coldness, a facade that wasn't there fortnight ago when they had their dinner. In that very moment, she realized how dangerous the court could be. How no one would protect her and Alicent, none but themselves. 

"You are all gathered here today, in hopes of discussing the future of our realm. The passing of our queen and my son, Prince Baelor, came across as a shock for all of us. As king, I've come to recognize that I will not roam this earth for eternity — and thus come to name my heir." The King announced as his eyes bounced from each and every one of his family members. 

His beloved daughters and his bitter brother. It didn't matter — Viserys loved them all equally. 

He smiles at the sight of his oldest daughter. The Snow Dragon. King Jaehaerys' favorite. She's ruled beside her husband for a decade. She's had enough experience in ruling. She was the perfect option. 

Maegelle smiles back at him, forgetting that she was keeping up an act. The folks of her father's courts bore no love for her — they only whispered behind her back. Her real power laid in the North — where they respected and feared her. Her father spoke to her mere moments ago, warning her about her fate. 

He told her that she was born to wear a crown. That it was King Jaehaerys that said so. 

"My daughter, my blood." Viserys danced around the topic as Daemon's fists clenched. He was jealous of his own niece — wanting that trust from his brother for himself. "Princess Maegelle Targaryen, Princess of Dragonstone, The Lady of Winterfell, and The Heir to the Iron Throne." Viserys announced as a few northerns from the back row began cheering loudly, drowning the whispers of the southern lords.  

Everyone knelt to her, 'swearing fealty' to her and promising to defend her. It almost took an hour — from the lords of Dorne to the lords of Winterfell, they all knelt, they all bowed to the Princess. Maegelle took a deep breath, ending her era of being loved — and instead finding a middle ground in everything that she does. 

From behind her, Prince Daemon schemes. 

From behind her, Prince Daemon swears to have her.