o. chapter five

CHAPTER FIVE

There was duty all daughters had to their family

To become a steady anchor, or a boat in the middle of the sea. 

Alicent never saw herself holding this burden. Honestly, she felt like the boat and the anchor, while her father was the sea. He expected the world from her, and she couldn't give it to him. 

She fiddles with the ends of her sleeves. She was wearing her mother's gown, with a small book at the side of her arm. "I don't want to do it." she protested and her father's jaw clenched in anger. He was ambitious, he wouldn't stop until she becomes queen. 

"You will do it," he asserted as his hands fell on his sides, fists clenching in anger and almost turning white. "I don't want to," she repeated as her pleas feel unto empty ears. He takes a deep breath, sensing her discomfort. If he wanted his plan to succeed, she needed to be willing. 

A weird smile was plastered on his face, and his hands reached the sides of her shoulders. "You will do it for our family," he ordered and she looks down, feeling tears brim in her eyes. 

He never said it, but he wanted her to seduce the King. She sees how he looks at the throne, with eyes filled with lust. He wants it for his own — he bares no love for her. 

Alicent never fancied men. She believed that they were vulgar and illiterate. Their breath stunk of ale, and their mouths knew nothing but curses. She takes a deep breath, gathering her courage as Otto's hand found the small of her back — leading her towards the door, telling her that she should go to the King's chambers. 

Then her mind drifts off to Rhaenyra, her beautiful summer curls and lavender eyes. How her breath smelled like perfumed wine, and her laugher radiated along the halls. Alicent smiles remembering the bravery her friend encompassed. She was like a knight in that sense — she didn't bow to the whims of olden lords. Alicent wanted to be like her. 

Her small hand finds the metal knob, turning it gently and fading from her father's view. 

No, she will not seduce the King. 

She will tell Rhaenyra, and perhaps the Princess would save her. 

——

Alicent knocks on her door, half praying that no one saw her. Rhaenyra opens the door and a small smile plays on her face. "Ali," the woman's eyes brightened as she sees the familiar auburn hair. "Rhae," she responded and all of her doubts began to fade away. 

This was right. 

This felt right. 

Rhaenyra offers her hand and the brown-haired woman gives it to her. It was a book about dragon-lords and Old Valyria. A topic that didn't spark interest as far as the Princess remembered. "Old Valyria?" she questioned as Alicent walked straight into her room, removing her sandals and placing them on the stone-shelf at the side.