o. epilogue

EPILOGUE: MAEGELLE'S LEGACY

THE DANCE OF THE DRAGONS

The Dance of The Dragons was a civil war during Targaryen rule of the Seven Kingdoms. A war of succession between Daelos I and his niece Daena over the iron throne, the war was fought from 140AC to 141AC. It saw the deaths of both rival monarchs, and the crowning of Daelos' son, Aegon II.

PRELUDE

Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen did not have legitimate children with his wife, Lady Rhaenys (daughter of Laenor). He sired a bastard child with his mistress, Lady Ellys Waters (daughter of Borros). Lacking a son to succeed him, Maegelle I began to train Lady Daena (daughter of Jaehaerys) as her heir.

Young Daena was included in all discussions and the affairs of state, and was allowed to participate in the meetings of the small council. Many of the nobles took note, and Daena Waters was legitimized and named Princess Daena Stark.

Maegelle I strengthened Daena's place in the succession by marrying her in 128 AC to Lord Daemon (son of Laenor), who had Targaryen blood through his mother, Princess Rhaenyra. The marriage caused a rift between Princess Daena and Princess Daenyra (daughter of Maegelle) as Princess Daenyra was betrothed to Lord Daemon first (before marrying her brother, Prince Daelos.) Daena gave birth to four daughters — Daenerys, Baela, Rhaenyra, and Rhaenys Velaryon.

Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen died at 139 AC, after a failed tournament between him and his brother: Prince Cregan of Winterfell. He died before he could succeed his mother, Queen Maegelle.

THE SMALL COUNCIL MEETING

Upon the death of Queen Maegelle I Targaryen, a meeting of the small council was called upon to decide the rules of succession. During the gathering, the conversation quickly stirred towards Daena's coronation, but Ser Tyland Lannister, the Hand of the Queen, told those who gathered that Prince Daelos would be crowned, whilst Lord Daemon, the master of law, and husband of Princess Daena, insisted that his wife should be crowned Queen.

Several other council members countered him, as Queen Maegelle did not formally proclaim Daena as her hair. Lord Jasper Wylde mentioned that the Old King Jaehaerys I twice chose a male heir over the female heir and her descendants. Ser Tyland Lannister argued that Princess Daena was a bastard child of no Targaryen bearing. Lord Daemon Velaryon stood up and drew his sword, pointing it at Ser Tyland Lannister.

According to Grand Maester Orwyle, Prince Daelos ordered the arrest and confinement of his good-brother, Daemon Velaryon, and was kept in the dungeons until he died of the Winter Fever. In contrast, Maester Eustace claimed that Prince Daelos murdered his good brother, using King Viserys I's valyrian dagger. This made Lord Daemon Velaryon the first casualty of the Dance of the Dragons.

After the situation, the small council made their plans, vowing their loyalty to their new king, and arresting those in Kings' Landing who could be loyal to Daena. Meanwhile, Daena remained on Winterfell, unaware of what had happened.