o. chapter twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

Rhaenyra could hear the small drops spilling from the ceiling and into the pavement

Rhaenyra could hear the small drops spilling from the ceiling and into the pavement. She liked the rain, and the smell of petrichor — but in that moment, she could only feel fear. It was a woman's job to get married and have children, but she never wanted to have children. She would rather ride into the great eclipse, or find the seven hells. A woman like Rhaenyra was better suited for warfare than the childbed. 

"My heart is already inclined with someone else." she breaks the thick atmosphere, and his head suddenly rises from the darkness. Viserys was a good father, he allowed his daughters to speak their minds — but he did not anticipate the confession. 

"Inclined with whom?" his voice boomed through his large halls. She turns her head slowly to look into his eyes. Those same purple eyes that killed her mother. She was there — she saw it with her own eyes. "A woman." she responded vaguely, his eyes widening in shock. "A woman?" he repeated, acting as if he misheard. 

Rhaenyra knew that her father sent her to his chambers to talk about marriage. To have her married to a man who would never love her — who she could never burn for. She needed to stop him — she needed him to rebuke her and send her away. If that was the only way that she'd have Alicent off her mind. 

"Yes, from the blood of Andals — a woman to be loved." she inclined, her voice raising slightly at his sudden shock. It was evident that she only loved women, ever since she was a child — she'd look at the pretty ladies with curiosity. "To be loved by a man! Rhaenyra, you are a woman!" Viserys scolds believing that this was one of her tantrums. 

"The Seven Gods have gifted you the privilege to create life, to give birth and to get married. And you are telling me, that you fancy a woman?" Viserys frowns, feeling disappointment pulse through his veins. It was disgusting in his eyes. No one would be able to protect Rhaenyra if she decided to toil around with women. They'd laugh behind her back, and erase her legacy. 

She scoffs, and crosses her arms. "And who would you rather me marry? Gwayne Hightower, or any man like him who would never respect me. Lords who've fought a dozen wars, so they may have the right to hurt me when they please? Is that what you wish for?" she growled, feeling fire course through her soul. Her father was archaic — his mind was of the olden times. He was no dragon. There was no fire in him. 

Viserys takes a deep breath, his body faltering slightly. His daughter was making no sense — she was letting her heart speak instead of her mind. "The Song of Ice and Fire." he states, walking towards Rhaenyra who was standing in front of the fireplace. "Aegon had a dream." he added, Rhaenyra rolls her eyes. 

Dreams did not make them kings, dragons did. 

"A dream of Winter — and only a dragon's flame can save this world." he hesitated, seeing her dissatisfaction. "What part of that dream tells me to not fancy women?" she remarked with a bitter smirk. "We must make our sacrifices — all of us, for the greater good." he responded, meeting her eyes and offering a kind smile.