o. chapter ten

CHAPTER TEN

Love was stupid — it offered no warmth, only that silent pining and hand-sweating

Love was stupid — it offered no warmth, only that silent pining and hand-sweating. A piece of Rhaenyra's soul was broken in half with Alicent's rejection, but in spite of the horror — she still couldn't hate the woman. She understood Alicent more than anyone could. In some parts, she could relate to her too. "It's normal to have your heart broken." Maegelle comforts, rubbing soothing circles on her sister's back. It didn't hurt, but she also couldn't stop crying. 

"It was awful." she cried out, feeling tears flow from her pale irises. Rhaenyra never allowed herself to cry in the open — but with all the insurmountable pain in her heart, she was exploding. "I feel awful for putting her in that position." she added burying her head in her sister's lap. "But you made your feelings known, and you should proud of that." Maegelle whispers, her hands trailing up to her sister's hair, playing with it softly. 

Maegelle didn't know what to say. She's never loved a woman before. But to think about it — being a princess above the clouds could only mean going down. And down, Rhaenyra went. 

"Proud of what? Feeling stupid." she huffed, her tears making her sister's gown a little damp. "There was no way in the seven-hells, we'd be together. Why did I ever tell her?" she scowled, feeling a little bit of embarrassment. The princess wasn't used to rejection. Maegelle chuckles softly, she almost forgot how young her sister was. "I don't believe that you were stupid," she mumbles softly, continuing to play with her sister's locks. 

"It's easy for you to say, you've never been hurt." she complains in return, raising her head silently and meeting her sister's brown eyes. Maegelle was the comeliest woman in all of the seven kingdoms — one word from her, and everyone would tremble to their feet. "I've been hurt far more than my fingers can count, but I always live through it — and that is the most important thing." she replied, not taking her sister's words to heart. 

Rhaenyra takes a deep breath, the guilt beginning to settle in. "What now?" her voice breaks slowly, her eyes fluttering as she began to feel tired. "I've got no friends — and Alicent thinks me a monster." she frowns, feeling a lot of emotions. She regretted her confession, she wanted to turn back time and prevent herself from making that mistake. "You always have me." Maegelle places a hand on her shoulder, offering another kind smile. 

——

Jaehaerys held the wood sword in his left hand (as it was his dominant hand), a small frown was plastered on his face as he hears his nuncle finish talking. "My father always said that honor was the bane of war." he argued, the sides of his lips turning into a scowl as Daemon's demeanor failed to change. "Are you an Arryn or a Stark, boy?" Daemon responds sassily, while turning around to get a sword of his own. 

The answer was neither; for he was a Targaryen. The next king of the seven kingdoms, after his mother. "When war comes, it will nor care if you are sheep or lion or wolf or dragon. It cares not for honor or loyalty, only for blood." he breathes, that same smirk bringing the scene back to life. Maegelle's boy was honorable and kind. It will take time to take that kindness away.