o. chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE

Life is entropy, filled with highs and lows - the most important thing was finding someone who'd hold your hand during the journey

Life is entropy, filled with highs and lows - the most important thing was finding someone who'd hold your hand during the journey. Rhaenyra always believed that she was destined to walk alone, until she met Alicent. She first believed that the love she bore was agape, nothing but friendly love, but nay: it was eros, a love of lovers.

She takes a deep breath, trying to remember her sister's words. Her hands haven't stopped sweating since she entered the garden. The moment those words leave her mouth, will be the same moment that Alicent will stop being her friend. Her breath shudders, her body was already anticipating rejection.

'This is what you're going to do.'

She could almost hear her sister's words in the back of her mind. Maegelle's plan had to work. Rhaenyra's eyes drift towards the Weirwood Tree, Alicent was slumped gracefully on its roots - reading a small book that she had loaned her.

'When she thinks me a monster, will my heart burn?' she asks herself, taking a deep breath and gathering her courage. There were endless possibilities, why must she chain herself to just one? She raises her arms, gently waving at her friend.

"Good morrow, Rhae." Alicent smiles - her eyes radiating the light of a thousand dying stars. Rhaenyra takes a step back. How foolish must she be? Alicent said 'good morrow' yet she heard a lament of love. "Good morrow, Ali." she replies in a hoarse voice, attempting to mask her nervousness. She looks down on the floor - almost avoiding Alicent's gaze.

Rhaenyra felt guilty of a love that she couldn't control. She felt guilty for loving a woman - when she supposed to be with a man. "I want to say something." she gulped. When she confesses, will Alicent slap her? hurt her? maim her? or will she just laugh?

The other woman raises both her eyebrows, the book on her hand long forgotten. "What is it? Are you alright?" she questions, her voice dripping with concern. Rhaenyra forces herself to smile again, not wishing for her friend to worry. She opens her mouth, but no words leave her tongue. Her body moves back and forth, and she kneels to Alicent's level.

She kneels to her in the same way a man would pray to the Seven Gods. Alicent was her solemn bead - the only thing she prayed for at night. "Do you think that dragons are monsters?" she whispered hoping to not catch anyone's attention. The question was peculiar, but from Alicent's religious mouth - it made perfect sense.

"What?" Alicent chuckles nervously, seeing that the atmosphere was thick. "You asked me to save you against your father's schemes. Why? You could've been Queen?" Rhaenyra inquired, attempting to set a conversation up. "I didn't want to betray you." she responded rashly, her voice almost becoming a desperate whisper. "Why?" she prods, her eyes looking up from the ground and catching hers.

There was no way, simple friendship would be enough to disobey family. Rhaenyra needed to know if Alicent loved her enough. "I don't know." she rasped, turning her attention back on the book. The tension was too much - it was too unfamiliar. "But I know why," Rhaenyra suddenly blurts out, catching her friend's attention.