Chapter 2

"Ok... Look, I know Metal won't attack because..." He looked at his soap shoes, unable to keep looking at Tails. After he told him he had a mental connection, he'd totally think he was crazy.

"Well... Buddy, I'll be honest. It will probably sound crazy, but just hear me out." Tails nodded, confused. "I've... had this, I guess you could say, mental connection with Metal since our first encounter. I know his thoughts, feelings, and intentions. I hear him speak. You probably think I'm crazy, but-" Sonic was interrupted by his brother.

"Sonic, I don't think you're crazy." Sonic's anxious expression was replaced with surprise. "It sounds bonkers, but I trust you. I just needed to know why".

"Just like that?" Sonic asked, still surprised at how easily his brother took the information.

"As I said before, I trust you, and it definitely explains some stuff", Tails said as he recalled weird moments when it seemed Sonic and Metal were communicating. He always brushed it off, thinking he was just seeing things, but Tails knew that wasn't the case now. "Just tell me what convinced you he's not going to attack, and go back to Eggman."

Sonic then told everything from the beginning to the present. After hearing the whole story, Tails also decided Metal deserved a second chance. Therefore, he wouldn't change his programming. Sonic couldn't be more grateful that his brother was willing to give Metal a chance.

"It's better we keep this to ourselves, right?" Tails asked.

"Yeah, I think so, Buddy! Thanks again for understanding and believing in me!" Tails responded with a nod and a slight laugh, then returned to fixing Metal.

After an hour, Metal was finally fixed. Tails decided to add a voice box to Metal, so Tails could hear him. However, he couldn't deny he was still a bit nervous about the whole Metal situation. However, considering Sonic and Metal's minds were linked, as Sonic had explained to him, he trusted things would be okay. He just needed some charging to be online again.

Meanwhile, Sonic made some food since it was getting late, and he was the only one who could cook. He wasn't very good, but he could cook some simple meals. He made some chilli dogs for them both. Then he came to Tails' workshop, so they could eat together. His brother really liked working on his stuff (a little too much sometimes). When he was really focused on something he was creating or fixing, Sonic literally had to bring food to his brother. Otherwise, he wouldn't eat or do anything other than the aforementioned activity.

As Sonic brought the chilli dogs, he said to Tails, "Hey bud, I've made some chilli dogs! Is Metal almost fixed?"

Tails laughed, looking embarrassed as he remembered his workaholic tendencies. "Thanks! Metal is actually fixed. He's just recharging".

"Sweet! Let's eat then."

As they ate, Sonic suddenly felt Metal powering up again. Metal slowly regained consciousness.

Then Tails asked, "Are you okay, Buddy? You look very... focused." He was unable to find the right word to describe Sonic's facial expression. "Do I have some sauce on my mouth or something?"

"Tails... Metal is online again. I can feel it." Tails looked confused for a second but then remembered that since his brother had a mental connection with Metal, he knew whether or not his Metal counterpart was online.

"Metal... Buddy, you don't need to pretend you aren't online. Tails fixed you up and knows about our mental connection", Sonic reassured Metal.

"I won't tell anyone about this, I promise. Also, I added a voice chip, so everyone can hear you now." Tails said.

"You did? Nice job, Bud!" Sonic said while patting Tails' head as a brotherly gesture.

"So... you can hear me?" Metal asked, with a robotic voice, looking directly at Tails.

"Yes. I tried to make your voice resemble Sonic's."

"Thank you for your help and for giving me a second chance. I really appreciate it." Sonic could feel Metal's gratitude for what both of them had done.

"No problem!" Sonic and Tails both answered.

"Well, now that you're fixed up, you're free to make your own decisions. I guess that does mean you can still continue being evil..." Sonic said worryingly, while Tails looked very surprised at what Sonic had said.

"I definitely won't be evil again. I was just following Eggman's orders and trying to do what he wanted me to do." Sonic's anxious facial expression immediately melted away into relief. Tails also felt relieved.

"Good, I didn't think you would." Sonic said. He knew Metal was telling the truth. His intentions matched his words. Tails also felt relieved at seeing his brother's expression, which conveyed his trust in Metal.

"So where are you gonna go?" Sonic asked.

"I think...