Chapter 4

First of all, thank you for the support you've been giving me. I'm glad so many people enjoy my silly fanfiction. Also, updates may be a bit infrequent until the middle of December. School has been kinda hectic for me and I need to study.

Like, I was literally the 4th best on the math test and I got a 10, and my grade is a 17 on math (My school evalutes from 0 to 20 btw). HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO MAINTAIN MY 17. I LITERALLY STUDIED ALMOST 2 WEEKS FOR THE TEST AND I STILL GOT A 10!

... Sorry about that, I needed to vent a little. But, oh well, enough talking about me. Hope y'all enjoy this chapter :)

In the following weeks, Metal got used to living through a whole new reality. It still struck Metal that he was with Eggman just a few weeks ago, who "cared so much about him". In hindsight, he could see so many signs that Eggman was only using him. For instance, Eggman deciding he didn't need a voice box because no one needed to hear him, anyway. Or that his face didn't need to display any emotion because doing so would make his feelings known to his enemies.

"A bunch of lies. Eggman wanted everyone to think I was just a mindless robot," Metal reasoned.

He still remembered when Eggman left and told him he was a failure. It had hurt Metal deeply to see Eggman leave him like that. At that moment, he understood Eggman had taken on a fatherly role to win his loyalty.

However, being with Sonic and Tails had been truly "life-changing" for Metal. When he'd asked Sonic to help him understand more about Mobians and their organic life, he still hadn't fully fathomed how intriguing organic life actually was. He spent hours seeing all kinds of living beings—bugs, insects, and birds—which fascinated him greatly. Spending nights exploring the city and the wilderness. Analyzing and understanding Sonic's and Tails' explanations about whatever question he had. Everything about it felt so captivating. During these last few weeks, Metal realized how Eggman had alienated him from the wonders of the outside world, from Mobians, from creatures, from everything. But now, Metal could do what he wanted, and he couldn't be more grateful.

Metal also made sure he was a good house guest. He did the dishes, helped clean the house, and helped with all kinds of chores. "Just like I did with Eggman. I have to stop thinking about him!' Metal thought.

Right now, Metal is helping Tails with the dishes. Sonic and Tails had just eaten dinner while Metal watched TV (something that also fascinated Metal).

Metal was washing Sonic's plate when Tails said, "Thanks for the help, Mets! Y'know, it sure would be nice if an ORGANIC HEDGEHOG could help me with the dishes like this!" Metal could detect that the fox was only half-serious. He had been attempting to comprehend all of the nuances that Mobians possessed. He wasn't created to know these things, but he had been learning and improving.

"Alright, alright", Sonic laughed. "I'll help you out, Bud."

Once they finished the dishes and Tails was put to sleep, Sonic asked Metal, "Wanna race?"

Metal had already raced Sonic in battle. However, racing Sonic now was very different. Since they didn't have to battle each other anymore, they didn't have to worry about any upcoming attacks. That made Metal realize how good running actually was. He thoroughly enjoys racing against Sonic now. Metal was aware that Sonic felt the same way. After all, they had a mental connection. Metal didn't really understand how he and Sonic could even have a connection to begin with. Still, he never told a soul about it, including his father figure, Eggman.

"Yes". Metal could feel the excitement coming from Sonic.

"This time around, I'm gonna win!" Sonic stated, being only half-serious.

"According to the number of times we've raced, you only have a 27% chance of winning." Metal said matter-of-factly.

"But I've already won 3 times!"

"Out of the eleven times we raced", Metal said, slightly confused at how Sonic didn't understand such a basic math calculation. He knew Sonic didn't really have much education, but he still thought Sonic knew these kinds of calculations. "I've beaten you once, and everything else ended in a tie".

"I know what you mean, but I feel like I'll win this time! Who cares about math, anyway?" Sonic said with a hint of "cockiness" in his voice. Metal realized that Sonic knew exactly what he was talking about. Sonic simply didn't care.

"Sonic is still that cocky hedgehog I met all those years ago..." Metal thought, rolling his eyes, and mentally snickering.

"Hey! I'm not being cocky! I just feel like I'm going to win".

"Did I forget that our minds are linked?" Metal sighed, embarrassed that he'd forgotten something so trivial.

'Yes, you did." Sonic snickered as he said this to Metal mentally.

"I still don't understand how Mobians can just feel like something will probably happen. Shouldn't you base your chances of winning on rational thinking?"

"It's a bit hard to explain, Mets. I'll explain it to you later." Metal nodded.

"Let's race." Sonic said with excitement in his voice and mind. Metal could tell he couldn't wait any longer.

"Let's go!" Metal said, expressing his excitement as well.

Sonic approached his metallic counterpart. Metal looked over at Sonic as he tapped each foot on the ground individually. Following a quick nod, they both departed, experiencing the excitement of watching the world blur beneath their feet.

They were close to finishing the race. Sonic is, right now, winning. However, with a sense of panic, Sonic mentally reached out to Metal and said, "Metal! Hide!"

Metal immediately did as he was told. He hid in a few small bushes near the forest where they had been racing. He then realized why Sonic had told him to hide. Amy and Cream were there! 'Did they see Metal?' Sonic thoughts echoed in Metal's mind. Metal really hoped that wasn't the case.

I just noticed how much I love cliffhangers. You're welcome :3