Blind Dates & Breakups

I'm free on Friday

I'm free on Friday." Rory told Dean the next day as they met before she had to go to school.
He smiled at her. "That's great. How did you manage to get out of dinner?"

"Serena" Rory told him. "Grandma said I could miss it if she'd take my place and I got her to agree."

"That's nice of her." Dean said, he'd hung out with Serena a few times in the last few weeks and seemed to get along with her.

"Well, I had to agree to go to this stupid party with her on Saturday." Rory said with a groan.

"Oh?" Dean asked.

Rory wasn't sure how he'd feel about the idea, since he seemed to have some weird feelings about Tristan which made no sense at all. Especially not now that Serena was in the picture.

"Yeah, it's a Chilton party and I didn't want to go." Rory told him. "But Serena really does and that's how I got her to agree to take my place at Friday Night dinner."

"I guess that's okay then." Dean said. "It's just a party right?"

Rory smiled, glad that he wasn't upset. "Yeah." She told him. "I don't even want to go."

"No, it's okay." Dean said, sounding cheered by Rory's lack of enthusiasm. "Go and have fun, it would be good for you to spend time with your sister, right?"

"Right." Rory said, glad that he wasn't mad, she didn't want to ruin things. Not with their anniversary coming up in a couple days. Besides, it was only a stupid party and she was sure she wouldn't even have fun.
_________________________

"Darling are you coming with us to the Brices anniversary party on Saturday?" Francine inquired as Serena got ready for school.
Francine had made it clear that she expected Serena to make a few social appearances while she lived with them, though thankfully she didn't have to go to all of them.

"No, I'm going to this party." Serena told her. "A girl I go to school with, Madeline Lynn, is having it. I thought it would be a good chance to get to know people."
Francine smiled at her. "That sounds lovely. I'm glad to see you're fitting in here." Francine looked at her and then paused, obviously trying to gather her words. "Serena, I know the arrangement we made was that you'd stay until the end of the school year, but your grandfather and I want you to know that you're welcome to stay as long as you'd like."

Serena appreciated the offer, but she knew she would never take them up on it. Her place was with her dad. Still she smiled at her grandmother. "I'll keep that in mind, Grandmother." She then stood up. "I have to get going, school, you know."

Francine smiled. "Of course. I'll see you this afternoon."
Serena nodded and kissed her grandmother's cheek, before grabbing her stuff and heading towards the garage.
She was thinking about the weekend. Friday night wasn't going to be fun, but Saturday... Now that had possibilities...

__________________________

Did I mention that I hate these things?" Lorelai asked Serena as they stood on Richard and Emily's front porch.