Friend or Foe

After a long day of work at the café, Jisung still needed to get groceries. But instead, he decided to make a quick stop at a convenience store for ramen and a few other cheap and easy meals. Real groceries would have to wait...again.

As soon as he walked through his front door, he noticed a familiar draft. Cool air streamed down the staircase and blew through his dark hair. He sighed but didn't even bother to go shut the window this time.

He put his few groceries away and left out a single bowl of instant ramen to have for dinner. Some sides to go with it would have been good, but this would have to do for now. He heated some water in the old, iron kettle on the stove and poured it into the bowl. After a few minutes, it was time to eat.

Jisung nestled himself into the couch with his steaming, hot noodles and pulled out his phone. He turned on the anime series he was currently in the middle of and watched an episode while he ate. Things seemed quite peaceful at the moment.

But of course, he just couldn't seem to have a normal evening since moving into the old house. After he finished eating, he went into the kitchen to clean up. But to his surprise, all the groceries that he had put away were back out on the counter. He hadn't even heard a noise to alert him of what was happening while he ate.

"This must be funny for you," Jisung huffed as he began putting everything away again.

There was no reply. Then, just as he closed the cupboard and turned to walk out of the kitchen, he heard a funny little cackle and all the cabinet doors flew open.

"Yah!" Jisung screamed, spinning around and clutching his chest. He was more startled than scared, as he was beginning to get used to—or tired of—the nonsense.

He sighed and made his way around the kitchen, closing each door as he grumbled to himself. He stood for a moment with his arms crossed, waiting to see what might happen next. He heard another giggle and immediately reacted.

"Hey! You better not!" He ordered, throwing his finger out like a nagging mother. He looked around, but there was nothing to see. "Why don't you just show yourself instead of trying to annoy me?"

He waited again, wondering if the ghost would reveal himself. Clearly, he was having way too much fun bothering Jisung. Why stop now?

"Fine. Maybe I'll just go to bed then," he taunted, knowing the ghost wouldn't be able to bug him if he was asleep.

His provoking worked and suddenly the ghost appeared, perched on the counter like a house cat.

"There you are," Jisung huffed. "Why are you pestering me?"

"Why not? It's fun." The ghost shrugged and looked away indifferently.

"Well...you could talk to me instead. You aren't the only one who's bored."

"Bored? Pfft. I don't get bored," the ghost sneered.

"Fine. But what about lonely?"

The ghost furrowed his brows at Jisung and hopped off the counter.

"Lonely?" The ghost repeated as he slowly stepped towards the human.

Jisung was suddenly regretting his suggestion of showing himself. He felt as if he was shrinking as the ghost got closer.

"I mean...seems like you would be, is all," Jisung mumbled.

The ghost cocked his head and stared into Jisung's eyes as if trying to read his soul. Then he suddenly snapped out of it and sauntered off.

"Meh," he uttered nonchalantly as he left the room.

Jisung took a moment to gather his wits and then followed. The ghost sat on the couch with his hands behind his head, elbows sticking out, and legs splayed onto the floor. It was as if he was trying to take up as much room as possible.