A Real Pet

The next day seemed to drag on with how excited Jisung was to pick up his newly adopted cat after school. But finally, his last class ended and he zipped right out the door and across campus. He was nearly to his car when he bumped into Minho again.

"Jisung!" Minho called out when he spotted the dark-haired guy practically jogging to the parking lot.

"Oh! Minho, hi," Jisung chirped as he spun around out of breath. "Sorry, I'm in a hurry." He rubbed his neck anxiously.

"Is everything okay?" Minho put his hand on Jisung's shoulder, which caused him to flinch.

"O-of course. I'm just on my way to pick up my new cat from the shelter." Jisung scratched at his sleeved arm unconsciously.

"Really? I love cats! Maybe I can come visit sometime and you can introduce me." Minho smiled warmly, but it didn't ease Jisung's nerves. In fact, it made him even more uncomfortable.

Right now, his concern was his new cat as well as his unusual roommate. He was worried about Lino and completely mixed up in his feelings about his relationship with the ghost. The thought of spending time with Minho just made him feel even more confused.

"Uh...sure, yeah maybe sometime. I really need to go," Jisung muttered.

"Oh...okay. Well, take care, Jisung." Minho's smile faded as the anxious squirrel of a guy quickly turned and scurried off with nothing more than a quick "see ya".

Jisung hurried off to the shelter and picked up his new little friend. He loaded the small carrier into the back seat and buckled it in place. Soft mews could be heard all the way home as the scared kitty had no idea what was happening.

"Don't worry, buddy, we'll be home soon, I promise," Jisung cooed, trying to reassure the cat as he drove extra carefully to the house.

When they arrived, he unbuckled the carrier and gently took it from the back seat. He headed up the path to the front door and paused to unlock it.

"Here we are," he announced as he walked in. "Your new home."

He found a quiet space and set the carrier down, then carefully opened the door and stepped back.

"I know you probably won't want to come out for a while, so I'll leave you be for now." He peeked in at the kitty and smiled, then stood up and wandered off to the kitchen to make some dinner.

When he went back to the living room to sit down, he was shocked to see Lino sitting on the couch with the cat curled up on his lap, napping peacefully as he stroked its soft fur.

"So, you got a cat," Lino murmured without looking up.

"Lino," Jisung squeaked. "How...how'd you get him to come out?" He cautiously walked over to the couch and sat beside the pair.

"Guess I have a way with cats. Helps being one for a day," he shrugged. "It looks like the cat I changed into. I take it you did that intentionally."

"Y-yeah...I figured next time Hyunjin comes over, he'll expect to see 'Gwumpy'."

"That what we're sticking with then?" Lino grunted.

"We don't have to," Jisung chuckled. "Besides, that name was meant for you."

"Right." Lino rolled his eyes.

"Would you like to name him?" Jisung smiled softly at the ghost.

"Shadow." Lino replied almost instantly.

"Oh...um, that's kinda dark, don't you think?"

"He's grey. It's not that spooky," Lino snorted.

"Okay. Shadow it is." Jisung reached over and pet the slumbering kitty. "I'm glad you two are already getting along. He can keep you company while I'm gone all day."