Chapter 5

"Lauren?"

Lauren jumped upon hearing the calling of her name. She hadn't even realized that she herself had fallen asleep on the couch. Her sudden movement as she jolted awake had woken Camila up from where she slept with her head still on Lauren's shoulder.

"Baby?" The voice called again from the kitchen.

Caitlin.

Lauren turned to Camila who was blinking, trying to gather her surroundings. "Sorry, I'll be right back," she whispered, standing up slowly from the couch as Avery was still asleep on her other shoulder.

"Hey, you!" Caitlin said rather loudly as Lauren entered the room, her voice echoing in the large kitchen.

Lauren quickly brought her finger to her lips and gestured at the sleeping girl in her arms.

"Oh, sorry," Caitlin replied, lowering her voice. "I didn't realize Laney was asleep."

"Actually," Lauren started, "it's not Laney," she explained, turning slightly so Caitlin could see Avery's face.

"Wait, what?" Caitlin questioned, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"This really isn't a good time, Caitlin. I didn't think you were coming home until tomorrow. I'm a little busy right now," Lauren said, her tone coming off a little harsher than she intended.

"I wanted to surprise you, baby, I..." Caitlin trailed off, her eyes drifting over Lauren's shoulder. "...Hi?"

Lauren turned around to see that Camila had now entered the kitchen, holding a sleeping Laney in the same way that Lauren was cradling Avery. Lauren instantly felt her body grow tense having Camila and Caitlin in the same room. She attempted to take a deep breath in order to compose herself. This introduction had to happen eventually.

Lauren nodded her head, motioning for Camila to come over to where the other two women stood. Before she could open her mouth, Camila cut her off.

"Listen, Lauren, maybe we should go. Avery and I, I mean," she mumbled nervously. "If you give me your keys I can go wait with Avery in your car so you can take us whenever you're ready," she paused, her eyes briefly looking over at Caitlin timidly. "Or you know what, Dinah can probably come get us. I'll text her," she added, reaching for her back pocket with the arm that wasn't supporting Laney.

"You don't have to go, Camila," Lauren protested.

"Actually, that's probably a good idea," Caitlin finally spoke, her voice a little sharp. "I made dinner reservations for us, baby," she directed at Lauren with a smile.

"Lauren, really, it's fine," Camila said, bringing her hand to Lauren's forearm. She felt guilty as she suppressed a smile when she saw Caitlin glaring at her from the corner of her eye.

"Okay, but please let me give you a ride," Lauren pleaded, shifting her body so Camila had her full attention. "Avery will probably wake up and I'd like to be able to say goodbye," she added, smiling down at the tiny brunette in her arms.

Camila's face wore a smile of her own as she nodded, silently agreeing to Lauren's request.

"Are you okay if I leave Laney here with you?" Lauren questioned, turning back to Caitlin.

"I was just about to get in the shower, I have to get ready for our date..." she complained.

"She's just going to sleep, Caitlin," Lauren replied, growing a bit annoyed.

Caitlin opened her mouth to speak but Camila cut her off.

"Dinah will probably be home when you drop me off. I'm sure she'd love to see you and if she didn't get to meet Laney as well she'd probably kill both of us," she said to Lauren with a smile.