Chapter 23

"Hi Mommy."

Camila jumped slightly where she stood at the kitchen counter, smiling as she noticed Avery standing in the entryway of the kitchen.

"Hi beautiful, I didn't hear you guys come in," Camila greeted, wiping her hands on a dishtowel before making her way over to her daughter. "Those are pretty," she added as she looked at the flowers she was holding when she bent down to pick her up.

"They're for you," Avery smiled as she held out the bouquet that was nearly as big as her tiny body.

"For me?" Camila grinned. "Thank you."

She walked over to one of the barstools lined against the counter to set Avery down before beginning to search the cabinets for a vase.

"Lauren got them," Avery continued, resting her chin on her hands as she watched her mom move around the kitchen. "So she doesn't get in trouble."

"Why would Lauren be in trouble?" Camila asked, raising an eyebrow as she filled a vase she found with water.

"Surprise," a voice said from behind her as Lauren and Laney finally entered the kitchen.

Camila's eyes widened slightly as she looked at Lauren who was holding Laney, the surprise seeming to be what Laney was holding.

"Lauren," Camila sighed. "What is that?"

"My puppy," Laney answered excitedly, pointing at the golden retriever she was carefully cradling in her arms.

"Our puppy," Lauren corrected as she reached to scratch the dog's head.

"Our puppy?" Camila questioned.

"Mhm," Lauren hummed, nodding as she set Laney down before taking the puppy from her arms. "Look how cute he is, Camz," she pouted as she brought him to Camila's face so that their noses were nearly touching. Her lips formed into a smile and the girls giggled excitedly when he stuck out his tongue to lick Camila's face.

"Our puppy," Camila repeated as Lauren lowered him into her arms.

"Our puppy," Lauren nodded.

"Are you crazy?" Camila laughed. "Who exactly is going to take care of 'our puppy'?"

"Me," Lauren shrugged. "And the girls will help. Right girls?"

Laney and Avery both nodded excitedly as Camila set the puppy down onto the floor. Laney immediately moved over to where he laid down, sitting next to him before pulling him into her lap.

"Are you going to clean up his poop?" Camila teased, looking down at Laney.

"He poops?" Laney grimaced, her mouth falling open slightly.

"Have fun with that," Camila smiled in Lauren's direction.

"We're going to have so much fun with this little guy," Lauren replied, halfway ignoring Camila as she walked over and bent down to pet the puppy.

Camila walked over to help Avery, who was squirming anxiously, out of her chair so she could join Laney on the floor to play with their puppy.

"Oh crap," Lauren said suddenly. "I left the fish in the car."

"Fish?" Camila questioned. "I hope you mean like to eat for dinner."

"No," Avery whimpered, sticking out her bottom lip.

"Goldfish," Lauren clarified. "Don't worry, we won't let your mommy eat your fish," she said, placing a kiss on the top of the girl's head before standing up.