Chapter 35 (Part 1)

"Cabello-Jauregui or Jauregui-Cabello?"

"What?" Camila asked, pulling her nose out of the book she was engulfed in to meet the green eyes to her right.

"Your last name. Well, our last name," Lauren explained. "After the wedding," she continued, reaching to bring Camila's hand that now wore an engagement ring to her lips. "Cabello-Jauregui or Jauregui-Cabello?"

Camila didn't respond at first, grinning too widely to reply as her eyes began fixed on the ring that was now sparkling slightly as it hit the light in just the right way.

"I kind of always thought I'd just take your name," she replied shyly, her cheeks heating up and transforming into a color that now nearly matched her sweater.

"Really?" Lauren asked, now wearing a smile to match Camila's earlier one.

"It's been a while since I've even used Cabello," Camila admitted. Her eyebrow furrowed and she could feel her heart rate begin to pick up nervously at the thought of her soon-to-be ex-husband. 

"Hey," Lauren interjected softly, frowning in notice of her fiancée's change in demeanor. "If you want to take my last name I'm not complaining," she smiled, running her thumb over the back of the smaller brunette's hand as she brought it to her lips once more. "Camila Jauregui," she stated, falling in love with the way it sounded right as it left her tongue.

Camila nodded in response, letting out a deep breath as a smile began to return to her face.

"Just one more thing to add to your new start," Lauren added. "Our new start."

"My restart," Camila correctly lightly, her voice coming off barely louder than a whisper as she moved her hand to Lauren's face, brushing a few loose strands of dark hair out of her eyes and then letting her hand linger on her fiancée's cheek.

Before Lauren had a chance to say anything else, Camila leaned in to connect their lips in a quick but sweet kiss.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked eventually as she gently played with the ring she had put on Camila's finger just a few days ago, the brunette's hand now resting in her lap.

While they both usually preferred to avert from any thought or conversation about Austin, it was becoming unavoidable as they were currently on an airplane to LA where a trial to officially determine the temporary custody of Avery, and now also the unborn twins, awaited them.

Although both women as well as their lawyer were sure that Camila would be granted sole-custody, there was always a chance that things could not end in their favor. And in addition to that they, Lauren in particular, were less than pleased that Camila was having to put all this additional stress on herself not only physically but also emotionally. She was still a little less than four months from carrying the twins to full term and while her blood-pressure has remained under control, it was still a concern.

"I will be," Camila replied. "Right?" She asked hopefully, her eyes widening slightly and appearing an even deeper shade of brown than usual. "I'll be okay...we'll be okay?"

Lauren did her best to give a reassuring smile despite her own worries, squeezing Camila's hand as she gave her a small nod.

Camila seemed to accept this, quickly averting her eyes to the window to Lauren's right.

"I wish I had the window seat," she pouted, choosing to change the subject rather quickly and continue to avoid talking about Austin and those potential troubles for as long as she could.

"Camz, you get motion sickness walking up and down the stairs," Lauren chuckled, referring to her fiancée's apt for queasiness in this stage of her pregnancy. "But you can have it on the way home if you want."

"Home," Camila sighed longingly, despite the fact that they had only been away from their southeastern abode for a few hours at that point.

She couldn't wait until they were on a plane in the opposite direction, returning to the life they were building together and leaving her old one behind her for good.

A/N: So...not sure anyone still/will still read this lol. This is a suuuuper short chapter but it's just the first part. I wanted to get something written/published as soon as possible because I'm excited to be writing this again. I missed this story and these characters and have so much more planned for it. The next (and hopefully longer) part could be up as early as tonight.

Crazy that it's been more than a year since this started.

Feels nice to be back on the bike.

- Larke