Chapter 16

Lauren was in the kitchen when she heard Camila and Laney come through the front door.

"I hope Avery didn't puke again," Laney's tiny voice said as the door closed.

"Shh," Camila whispered through a laugh when she saw Avery sleeping on the couch.

Laney nodded before darting toward the kitchen when she saw her mom.

"Hi baby," Lauren smiled as she picked the little brunette up, planting a kiss on her check before sitting her on her hip. "Hi baby," she repeated in Camila's direction, winking at the woman who had just entered the kitchen.

"Hey," Laney giggled, scrunching up her nose. "Mila's not a baby!"

"Are you a baby?!" Lauren questioned, moving to cradle her daughter like an infant.

"No, mommy," Laney squealed as Lauren began tickling her stomach. "I'm a big girl."

"Hm, are you sure?" Lauren asked.

"Yes," Laney nodded. "Put me down, I want to go see Avery."

"What do you say?" Lauren quizzed, raising an eyebrow at her daughter.

"Please," Laney requested dramatically as she looked up at her mom with an innocent smile.

Lauren planted another kiss on the girl's cheek before setting her down on the floor and watching her scurry out of the kitchen into the other room.

"Don't wake her up!" Lauren called after her.

As soon as Laney was out of sight and ear-shot, Lauren reached for Camila's hand, pulling her toward her.

Camila immediately reached up to take Lauren's face in her hands, kissing her softly.

"Hi," Camila hummed when she separated their lips.

"Hi," Lauren smiled, giving Camila another quick peck. "How was coffee with your mom?"

"It was really good," Camila replied. "A little emotional, but good."

"How so?" Lauren asked, gently tracing her fingers across the younger woman's back as her arms were still wrapped around her. She looked a little worried, Camila thought.

"She said she was happy for us, to hear that we're together," Camila started, wanting to ease any nerves she might be having.

Lauren's face immediately broke out into a wide grin that gave Camila butterflies in her stomach.

"She said she always thought there might be something going on between us," Camila admitted. "I wish I would've known that back then."

"Hey," Lauren said when she saw Camila's face fall slightly. "Don't dwell on that. We're here now," she added as she brought her lips to Camila's forehead.

"Yeah," Camila smiled as she tucked her face into Lauren's neck, leaving a soft kiss on her skin. "That's what my mom said too," she told her as she lifted her head again to meet Lauren's eyes.

"I'm really happy things went well. We should all go to dinner or something soon," Lauren suggested.

"I'd like that," Camila nodded. "How's Avery feeling?"

"A lot better, I think," Lauren replied. "She didn't throw up again and her fever was coming down before she fell asleep. Maybe we better go check on them," she added, her eyes drifting toward the living room.

Lauren connected their hands and lead Camila into the other room, and once they set their eyes fell on the two little girls they both stopped, Camila reaching to grasp Lauren's elbow.