Chapter 33

A/N: You're welcome...maybe

Lauren paced around the waiting area of the emergency room anxiously, every awful possibility rushing through her mind: losing a baby, losing both babies, losing Camila.

Avery and Laney were sitting together in a chair, currently distracted by Lauren's iPad that sat in their laps. She hadn't been able to drop them off anywhere as she rushed Camila to the hospital but she wasn't sure she would have anyways; they had finally calmed down but they had initially been pretty shaken up.

Right now they were all just surrounded by a cloud of confusion. Camila was complaining of intense pain in her stomach and had been bleeding, which couldn't mean anything good. Lauren just wanted answers already.

"Miss...Jauregui?" A nurses voice called from the front of the room.

"That's me," Lauren said immediately, grabbing Laney and Avery before making her way over. "Is she okay?"

"They just finished taking her vitals and helping her get cleaned up a bit," the nurse explained as she lead them through a large set of double doors. "They're still trying to find exactly what the problem is but I thought you'd want to see her as soon as possible."

"Thank you," Lauren smiled weakly once they found themselves outside of another door. The nurse opened it, ushering them all inside.

"Lauren," Camila greeted, worry remaining all over her features as she let out a small sigh of relief. She extended her hand to Lauren who immediately took it in her own. Avery and Laney were now standing at her feet, nervously peering up at Camila over the edge of the bed.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked as she brought the back of Camila's hand to her lips.

"I'm scared," Camila choked as she fought back tears, not wanting to cry in front of the girls.

"It's okay," Lauren whispered. "Your mom's on her way," she added when she noticed the way Camila was eyeing their daughters worriedly.

No matter what the outcome was, this wasn't something either of them wanted them there for.

"Hi, sorry," a voice said, coming from a man dressed in scrubs who now stood in the doorway. "I just came to take your ultrasound," he continued, moving further into the room until he was at Camila's bedside.

Camila's grip tightened on Lauren's hand and she protectively moved her free one to her stomach, desperately hoping to feel some type of movement.

"It'll just take a minute for me to get things set up," the ultrasound technician apologized.

Camila nodded in response and a few seconds later Lauren felt her phone vibrate.

"It's your mom," Lauren said to Camila after glancing down at the screen. "She's in the lobby, I'm going to bring the girls to her. I'll be right back."

"Hurry," Camila pleaded softly.

"I'll be right back," Lauren repeated before leaning in to bring her lips to Camila's forehead. "Give Mommy a kiss," she directed to Laney and Avery who obliged immediately, but still remained uncharacteristically silent.

"Cute kids," the man smiled politely as soon as Lauren left the room, looking to make conversation.

"Thank you," Camila replied, trying to force a small smile that ended up a pained grimace.

All she could focus on was the two kids inside of her, desperately wanting to know if they were okay. She had been burning through pregnancy books lately, despite having had done this all once before, and all she could think about right now were the chapters on health complications and specifically, miscarriages. She was so lost in her own terrifying thoughts she didn't even notice when Lauren re-entered the room.