Chapter 9

Lauren leaned down, bringing their foreheads together.

"It's okay," she whispered. "You're safe now."

"I'm going to keep you safe."

--

Lauren pulled into her driveway. She tried to move her hand to put the car into park but Camila remained clutching it in her lap; their fingers intertwined the way they had been the entire ride.

Lauren squeezed it reassuringly before Camila finally released it so she could put the car into park. She removed the key from the ignition before turning back to the younger woman, reaching over to place a hand on her thigh. Camila smiled graciously, putting her hand on top of Lauren's.

Lauren jumped a little when she saw movement out of the corner of her eye from the backseat.

"I didn't realize she was awake," Lauren said softly, her eyes moving to the rearview mirror.

"Hi Avery," she smiled.

"Where's mommy?" The little girl questioned, not seeing Camila as she was in the seat directly behind her.

"Hi princess," Camila said warmly, turning around so she could see around the seat's headrest.

Avery squirmed excitedly, a big smile taking over her face.

"Ready?" Lauren asked, reaching to push open the door on her side.

Camila nodded, offering a weak smile before she climbed out of the car.

The two women both got out and opened the rear doors of the Jeep, Lauren grabbing Camila's bags and Camila grabbing Avery.

Once Camila made her way around to where Lauren stood, she intertwined their fingers once more as the older woman led them to the front door of the house. When Lauren pushed it open, she revealed Normani and Laney sitting on the couch watching TV. Laney immediately jumped up when she saw the door begin to open.

"Mommy!" she said excitedly as she ran across the room. Her tiny brown eyes widened even more when she saw Camila and Avery with her. "AVERY!" She yelled loudly, slightly startling the other small girl.

"Shh," Lauren said as she brought a finger over her smiling lips. "A little quieter, baby," she instructed.

Laney was shifting her weight back and forth as she waited anxiously for Camila to set Avery down. Once she did, Laney took Avery's hand in her own and guided her across the room eagerly.

"This is my Mani," Laney said once she reached the couch, pointing at the woman.

Normani leaned forward, resting her forearms on her knees and waving to where Avery stood below her, smiling shyly. Avery then followed Laney up onto the couch and the two became lost in whatever was playing on the television screen.

Lauren watched nervously as Normani got up from the couch and made her way across the room, her eyes a little wide.

"Hey, Camila," Normani said as she reached to pull the woman into a hug. "It's really good to see you," she added genuinely as she embraced the girl.

"It's good to see you too, Normani," Camila smiled. "I'm really sorry for intruding like this," she apologized softly.

"Oh no, you're not intruding," Normani assured her.

Lauren looked over Camila's shoulder to meet Normani's eyes, smiling appreciatively.

"But I was actually just about to head to bed, I have another early day of rehearsals tomorrow," she said as she stretched her arms. "I'll talk to you guys tomorrow?"