10. Goodbye.

Song: Chaotic.

“Why are the people I love the most taken away?” Avani whispered

Meher said nothing but just sat there on the rooftop staring at the dark sky. The seine lingered around them. 

“It's all such a bullshit” Meher scoffed. 

Avani turned her head towards her “ what ?” 

“The whole they are in a better place - or got taken because they deserved more… it all is so bullshit like why would they be born if they were meant for a better place? What is this place if not better? We have created so many shitty reasons for everything” 

Avani didn't say anything, she had no words , so she offered her silence.  

“What did the doctor say anyway?” 

“They said they'd have the surgery next week and then her chemo will start” Avani answered. 

Meher swallowed and nodded. 

“What about Kabir, how is he holding up?” Meher asked , her voice barely above whisper. 

“He - he is hanging in their” 

 “My life is such a dramatic opera” Avani snorted , unamused by the situation. 

“How?” Meher asked. 

''There is always something new, everytime i get over one thing, another thing comes and I am spiraling back , it's like my life was never supposed to be normal” Avani chuckled humorlessly. What was the point of living a life like this if she was slowly going to lose everyone. 

Meher didn't reply , she didn't know what to say. She was worried Avani was going to return to that 17 year old scared depressed teen who wanted nothing but to take her life away. 

“I think we should get back inside its getting cold outside” Meher said as she got up  and avani followed. 

“Meher di look what i made” a boy around 5 came running and grinned at Meher “Oh My God Abhi this is so amazing” Meher replied stunned as she saw a beautifully made sketch. Iit was a simple sketch of a flower but it looked beautiful as if a grownup made it. 

“Wow” Avani muttered , she was stunned by the talent of the kid. 

The boy shyly smiled at Avani and mumbled. “Thankyou” and rana way giggling as he took his sketch and showed it to everyone.  

“Who is he?” Avani asked Meher. 

“He is Abhimanyu, his parents who passed away in an accident four months ago were then sent to a guardian who abused him. A month later he was sent here, he is truly a gifted kid” Mehr said with a sad tone to her voice. 

Avani’s heart ached for the kid. 

“He has no other family?” she asked. 

“Nope only had one aunt who abused him so all he has is now us”