16. Grandfather

I didn't know when the plane took off or even landed or when she reached the old palace, i only realised about my surroundings when Kabir told me we were here.

my breathe hitched , was i ready to meet him after all this time? was i ready to face him? i have grieved him for years cried for him missed him , grew up without him and now i know he is here i feel scared to face him . i was afraid. Kabir squeezed my hand reassuring me , no matter what happened between us he somehow was always there for me i sometimes felt a if i was being unfair to him , but was it really my fault for wanting honesty from him?

i nodded and walked inside.

"stay here i would go get him" Kabir tells me and i nod.

he then disappeared somewhere i fidgeted with my fingers nervously and sat on the couch . my heart was racing.

"someone is here to meet you Dadu" I heard kabir sy and i turned aroud andsaw that my grandpa was on wheelchair while kabir was pushing it. "who?" grandpa asked , his voice saw tired and low. his once strong face was wrinkled and old. "dadu?" i whispered and slowly walked towards him , afraid i might startle him.

"kaun?' he asked

i kneeled in front of him "i am avani, dadu" i whispered , tears clouding my eyes. "who Avani?" he asks and touches my face , trying to identify me. tears ran down my face, because he would'nt know me , i am not the same 14 year old girl he knew ,, i've grown and he doesn't know me , he wont even remember me. his hands cupped my cheeks.

"lado" he whispered, a sob leaves my lips.

"ji dadu''I reply he is crying too now.

i hug him and cry all my eyes out. "i missed you Dadu" i tell him

"bss mere bacche , i am here now . your dadu is here" he says rubbing my back.

i look up at Kabir and mouth thank you to him, he nods at me and turns around , i saw the tears i those eyes no use of hiding them now.

i grieved fr this loss , i grived for everything that i thought i had lost when i was told he was gone. and now he is here and i feel so happy and broken as if someone had choked me , Halted my breathing flow but then suddenly the hold loosened and now I could breathe. It's as if I had lived all my life in the dark and suddenly I see a way out .

She sobbed as she grived the loss and Reconciled with the grandfather she had lost for so long. She gruved the Loss of growing up with him. She grieved the loss of him seeing her Wedding, meeting Arjun, Seeing her become the most successful version of herself. She grieved it all.
And then she let go.
Of a past that haunted her
Of a life that felt like prison. With new determination she decided it was time she let go and start a new. She sobbed for letting go of past that had trapped her for so long. She let go of it all.

And she then finally breathed.

"Let's go home dadu" she said cupping his cheeks, the wrinkles on his face had increased and his face had now Aged. The strong man she knew in Jaipur was now an old wrinkled man sitting on a wheel chair. And it broke her.

"Lado , I missed you. But where is home?" He asked a sad tone to his voice.

"Anywhere you want it to be dadu. We can go anywhere and make our home. It may not be the previous one. But we can make a new one" I whispered. Dadu smiled and whispered "alright. take me wherever you think home is but do it after everyone's punished for what they've done" he said.

Always the righteous. She smiled. It was the one quality of his that she had acquired.

"Ofcourse. "
"C'mon dadu it's time for your medications"Kabir said. An apologetic look on his face.

I wiped my face immediately. And smiled. "take care dadu. "

My heart breaking as he went back. But somewhere inside my heart a hole was filled. Making me feel Somewhat complete. Maybe I was half of what I am.

I'm half agony half hope.

"He's asleep now" Kabir said . I was still kneeling taking a deep breath I stood up.

"Will be be fine?"

"He will be. " He said.

I nodded. I had no words for him. There was too much in between us. I've loved him too much and he has hurt me a lot. There's no end to this. There's no end to us .

What kind of starcrossed are we? I've always called those stories pathetic, The stories where the wife leaves her husband and then reconciles since all I believed in was there's no redemption to anyone once a bond is broken it's broken.
And now I stand here in front of him , My beliefs ,My heart my brain everything screamed at me to bolt yet my soul always craved him. Why ? I always thought moving on is easy. It's not that hard.

How wrong have i been? Now there's only a few feets between me and Kabir just a few steps and I'd be in his arm's, Here we are miles apart. The longing in his eyes made me feel The same way as he did. Miserable.

But he was wrong.

"I accepted everything you thre my way Abhimaan. Everything. The way you wer ebad at expressing emotions, You couldn't communicate you couldn't be honest with me. I accepted it all. But all of it has just piled up on my heart and after all of it you still haven't changed. I can see it in your eyes there are more secrets more mysteries. And I would've asked you but it's of no use I know you wouldn't tell me the truth. So I'm giving up abhimaan. The tiny hope I had for you, For us. I'm giving it up. We both knew even after divorce There was something we could've done we could've worked on it. Became something for each other. But after today I see no return point for us. So this is me saying good-bye Abhimaan. After Meera and Abeers wedding I want nothing to do with you. Absolutely nothing. I want no part of your life and I don't want you to be a part of mine. " I said , there I finally laid it out.

He nodded . No words exchanged after it.

Maybe this was it.
For how long could we have held on to this broken foundation of a relationship.

******

Sorry About taking so long. But this is the first update after the hiatus hopefully you liked it.

The story is almost in the final arc now.

Maybe 10 to 15 more chapters now. Idk.

But I'm starting to wrap it up now.