215: A Gentleman Calls

a/n: Sorry for the chapter title swaps - and sorry if the flashbacks feel confusing.
They're v out of order, but I'm placing them based on story relevance rather than Maci Canon/timeline order. Hope ya enjoy x
Comment and vote <3
Bea

"Leaving a police precinct is not where I expected to run into you," Lucien started.

"Were you trying to run into me?"

"I was going to send that little item to The Compound and hope an invitation to a Halloween bash would give us a chance to talk," He countered, "Though I guess this – "

Daytime New Orleans.

"Makes for slightly easier communication."

Rather than blaring music and costumes.

"Suspect or victim?" He joked.

"Something of both," MJ glanced at a magazine stand on a corner, "You keep up with the news?"

"Some terrible murders."

"Terrible indeed."

"That you all already believe me the culprit of."

"You would be the perfect candidate."

"I've read up on it," Lucien reasoned, "Poor men – though, perhaps that's bad phrasing on my part. They were all anything but poor in life."

MJ narrowed her eyes.

"You all point fingers at me, but I might become the next target."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Look at my cufflinks!" He held out his arms, gold shining, "My Shoes. All in line with them."

"Then it's a good thing you have a healing factor."

"One could say the same about you, yet two originals were still running around trying to locate a man targetting you."

"So you know about that."

"Elijah mentioned everything you were dealing with."

MJ tilted her head, "Elijah?"

"When he came to me."

"Didn't Elijah come to you after you'd been eavesdropping on my friends?"

Lucien clicked his teeth.

"Where they were talking about everything?"

Silence.

"Something about me," MJ looked towards him as they walked, "I'm what some would call a bridge."

He chuckled.

"I got caught up on everyone's nights over the past week. Got the timeline in order. Elijah saying you played dumb about Levi being in town with him too when you would've heard everyone else talking."

"And you think one small slip-up makes me a liar?"

"I think you're working really hard to craft a specific narrative."

"Food for thought," He stopped walking, gesturing to a café a few doors down, "If I'd had any familiarity with what you were all dealing with that night? Elijah would've taken that as the end of the story, blamed it all on me, and possibly killed me."

MJ had to consider that.

Her phone beeped.

A concerned message from Kol.

"I know how it feels, Mira," Lucien's hand came forward to guide her face away from the screen, "To let the Mikaelson lens shape how you view those around you."