258: The Devil Comes Here And Sighs

a/n: Remember to comment and vote x
(And read the chapter announcement on my page for a lil update)
- Bea <3

As it finally turned to night, the Mikaelson Compound slowly emptied until seemingly only the family remained. MJ and Kol were wrapped up in his bed, his lips pressing into her forehead, their eyes meeting.

MJ sat up. Stradling his waist, she watched his irises grow, cupping his face into her hands to pull their lips together. It wasn't meant to initiate anything. Just a reminder that they had each other. Stretching back slightly to peel the green jumper off, Kol hesitated. He studied MJ's face before allowing himself to do the same, gently kissing up her stomach, then turning them. Pulling away shorts and trousers. Naked bodies wrapped together, head buried in his chest, fingers tracing each other's skin.

Not crossing a single barrier, just faces carrying buzzing smiles as they allowed themselves to be away from the world. As close as possible. After so much noise, the quiet almost felt wrong.

It wasn't like them.

The entire house...

Elijah stood in his room, staring at his phone.

Unable to stop himself from calling.

Maci, unable to stop herself from answering.

"Lucien is going to die."

She didn't react.

"I wanted you to hear it from me first."

"...I somewhat anticipated."

"I know you have always felt for him – "

"Elijah," She was sharp, "We are not doing this."

Yet another call after telling her she would be killed on sight.

"You hung up on me."

"Did you have anything to say in response?"

Maci's lip curled in, not in the theatre, instead, watching over the city from the roof of a bar. Trying to spot anything she understood. Trying to watch out for a way to end the mess.

"You are upset with me, I know that," Elijah's voice lowered, "That does not stop me from..."

He didn't finish the thought.

"You can hang up."

Maci simply breathed out slowly.

Elijah's eyes fluttered shut, listening to it. Knowing that every room in the house had some awareness of the others and that calling her could lead to questions and confusion – but she'd answered. She'd betrayed him. He'd hurt her. And he'd called her.

An exhausting day – tiredness despite lack of movement or noticeable progress. Stuck listening to things that sparked memories, realisations, and uncomfortable truths. Even if none of the conversation had intended to make him feel that way.

And now, neither were saying anything at all.

Just listening to the world around the other through the phone.

The still house. His empty room, Hayley a few doors away, awake, Kol and MJ drifting off, their heartbeats so clear, still slipping through the protective magic on the door. Freya found Finn in the downstairs room, looking over the book he'd brought earlier.

"Are you okay?" Her voice was so light in Elijah's ear.

"Intrigued," Finn answered.

A voice they hadn't heard since he'd died.