217: It's About The Aesthetic

a/n: HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Remember to comment and vote <3
Next chapter and this one gonna feel info dumpy sorry lol (but hopefully clarifying info)
Bea x

Cami arrived home alone, tired and ready to crash on her couch. Maybe text MJ to check-in. Maybe text Klaus to apologise for their argument after his show – knowing it wasn't worth it. He'd needed the call out she'd given him, and she couldn't feel bad just because a painting now sat in her living room.

She and Pri had talked Vincent through how places MJ frequented seemed to be targets of victim snatching, and he couldn't work out if that was targeted or some spell to read into. It's not like the people were being killed in one massive triangle. It wouldn't count as a city-wide sacrifice.

She couldn't help but feel watched the entire walk back.

Maybe the broken street lights on the road before her apartment added to the 'about to get murdered' energy. Perhaps the clouds covering the moon raised the question of why her shadow seemed so long.

But her phone had charge – MJ her emergency number.

She knew self-defence.

She was just panicked, knowing a killer was on the street.

Hyped up by the buzz in the air, despite the looming blown bulbs.

It had to be.

Stepping into her building, she deliberately took the stairs; the yellow light of the dinging elevator felt like a false friend. Shiny reflective mirrors inside seemed to blur when she momentarily glanced at them. Swearing for a second, everything looked black and white, despite the colour of her clothes.

Pausing in the hallway leading to her door as her neighbours opened, a laugh leaking out of it.

"Truly captivating!" Lucien was pulling on a coat, stepping out of her elderly neighbour's place as the door shut behind him, "Miss Camille."

He spotted her, offering a grin.

"What are the chances?"

"Almost impossible," She crossed her arms, "What do you want?"

"Simply looking into property," He reasoned, "Quite the storyteller you have here."

"Mrs Camerons has family that visit regularly, and she has nothing to do with anything."

"You assume the worse," He pulled a face, "I am a businessman. I was here conducting business."

"That just happened to be next to where I sleep?"

"Inspecting the building," He gestured to her door, "If you'd let me have a look."

"No chance," She stomped past him, wanting to get inside, "If you've come to plead your case – "

"I've come because I hope you will be more reasonable than young Pasare."

Cami unlocked her door, "MJ told us she was your alibi."

"Alibi makes it sound planned," He watched her step beyond the threshold, "You all target someone you know nothing about."

"You were Klaus's first sire," She tried to seem uninterested, "And now you're here to keep him safe."

"Indeed."

"Then go do that," She chucked her coat onto the sofa, "Instead of loitering here."

"How safe do you think you are?" He placed a hand on the invisible barrier, "Vampires are quite clever in how they get in places."