240: Things Burnt In The Fire

a/n: I love writing Kol in 'little shit' mode and had a lot of fun with these flashbacks lmao <3 Hope you enjoy - Remember to comment/vote
Bea xxx

1002

Maci was sitting on her father's right side, mind far from the room, expression like a painted doll. The windows around her left the room feeling light and airy, tall, sweeping strands of sunlight, masking the thin line of her lips and dead eyes. Casting the room in a glow, like they were bright and shining rather than war-torn and dying.

Her last conversation with Elijah playing on a loop.

'they have fallan at their father's hands.'

And she hadn't seen Tabir's body yet.

Her brother's decaying form, left there for far too long – like he wasn't once a prince. Destined for the throne, leaving her as the only 'child' old enough to be on the map of playable pieces. Born to be a bridge between dynasties. What her time in Europe was now revealed to have constantly been training her for.

Stuck with her father as he pretended he hadn't deliberately hidden the death from her.

Beyond the windows was the blue sky, stretching out until it melded into a different colour. Lost behind the beautiful structures Maci once described in such longing detail to Elijah, despite her promise to never let any European see her value something. See that she might have a weakness. A thing she could lose – they could take. Her eyes now stung if she stared for too long. Because she could only stare at it during the conversations she was currently in the middle of.

A nudge brought her out of the state.

A hand placed on top of hers by the man paying the most attention to her father's battle plan. Not because he adored him. Because he was judging it. Judging her, listening, making his suggestions, seeing the response, and then either continuing to agree to help or calling off their wedding.

Maci's life since she'd returned was that list on repeat.

Every day.

Was her country worth defending?

Not based on their output or education but her.

She offered him a smile, squeezing his hand and making a suggestion to her father's words. Earning a raised eyebrow, then a smile when she looked down shyly and said nothing else.

Proving she was listening.

That she had a brain.

But that she wouldn't push it. Not in public, anyway. That she could play up pretences that made him look better while advising everyone in private.

In normal circumstances, they wouldn't have been allowed to meet. It was bad luck. But her people were in a slaughter match, so that side of the traditions had to take a back seat.

Bright blue hit it's limit, leaving spots of light in her vision that she needed to blink away. Disassociation did come with some downsides. She tapped her father's shoulder gently and put on her softest expression.

"I think I need some air."

"Of course," He gestured for her to step outside, "Rest well, sweetheart."

Maci let herself nod, knowing her two guards would follow her through the castle to the nearest balcony, then wait on the inside. Her handmaiden alerted. Giving her a few minutes of solace before she'd appear too, with food, water, and probably a cool towel.