Chapter I

Two more days, I tell myself. Only two more days. Then I am free of this. Of him.

The room I once shared with my brother felt cold ever since he left, is freezing cold in winter nights without him next to me.

"Theresa! Come here right now!"

I sigh. Wringing my hands, taking deep breaths and then, with my head held high, walk down the stairs, towards my father, who is in a bad mood. Which is bad for me.

"What was your result?!"

I shake my head. "We are not allowed to tell. You know that."

"Tell me!"

"No."

His face contorts into a grimace.

"You disobey me?!"

I stay silent.

"Do I need to teach you to respect me again?!"

I grit my teeth. He yanks me back by my hair, out of the living room, into the adjoining room, which once was filled with musical instruments and even though having fun wasn't all that common in Abnegation, filled with dancing. But that changed and after my mother died, the instruments disappeared and so did the happiness. And then my brother left as well, and after that this room officially transformed into hell.

The chains that now permanently hang from the ceiling and the stool in the middle of the room. The closet in the corner.

He uses the chains this time, my arms above my head, back bare as my father circles me, raises the whip.

"This is for your arrogance", he says and it collides with my back, a familiar pain spreading through my body, hand clenching and struggling against the restraints.

"This is for your indiscipline."

"This for your noisiness."

Two more days. Two more days. Two more days.

The seventh hit draws blood, and will add another scar to my back. My nails pierce the skin in my palm, a tear runs down my cheek.

"And this is for your disobedience."

Two more days.