Chapter XXVI

It is as delicious as it looks and I release a soft moan when taking my first bite. Eric looks up amused.

"I always forget that you were Abnegation."

"What is this? It tastes...oh my gosh."

"That's probably the garlic."

"I love it."

"I would have tried dessert, but that is above my capabilities."

"I am sure we can try together sometime if you want."

There is a look of contemplation on Eric's face, a short hesitation.

"Sure. No cookies though."

"Why?"

Eric is suddenly very focused on his pasta.

"You know if you don't wanna talk about shit, then you can tell me. It's fine. I understand."

"Okay. I am not good at this."

"I think you are doing just fine."

"Well, I am offering a continued training course in addition to the mental stage. It wouldn't influence the rankings, but those who do show up will be getting a bit more money on their cards."

"That's great."

"I would like to see you there."
"Of course. The only because you think it's hot when I beat people up."
"That too."

"And we train with the knife before or after?"
"Before. Early in the morning would probably be best."

"Ok."

"Here. Let me put it on you."

Eric crouches down in front of me, placing the first strap of the holster around my hip, then looking up at me as he moves his hand up my leg, moving my feet a bit further apart to get the higher strap around my thigh. I stop breathing at the sensation of his fingers above the thin fabric, I see the smirk he is trying to hide as he buckles it, fingers dragging down to the next. I take a shallow breath.

"You make this look absolutely sexy", he breathes, nose brushing against my knee. He slowly rises up, hands gliding up slowly, while always having his eyes on my face. When they arrive at my sweatshirt he lets them move beneath, now skin finding skin. Again I try to control my breathing and step back.

"Sorry. I thought..."

"No, no it's, I liked that, I just...", I take a deep breath and pull the sweatshirt over my head, "it's not pretty and I thought you should know and...well. There we go."

I turn around, my back turning towards him. The whole ugly truth displayed before him. The scars from the whip, a few from a knife, many little burns.

Eric is silent. He doesn't utter a word, I don't think he breathes. His hand touches my back, the newest, most raised scar, slowly following it all the way across. He repeats that with each one as if drawing a map. Then he pulls me into his chest, head by my ear.

"This doesn't make you ugly. It makes you strong, it makes you brave, it makes you a survivor."

I can't say anything. I feel way too many things at the same time. Slowly he turns me around. There are many emotions on his face too, anger being one major one of them.

"Just say the word and I will kill him. I swear it to you."

A small tear rolls down my cheek and I furiously brush it away.

"I just...I thought before we...before you saw it in a different way."

"You are beautiful."

I lower my head, but Eric grabs my chin and makes me look at him.