Chapter III

Everybody looks around, even the Dauntless born, uncertain of what exactly to do.

"I don't have all day", Eric says, annoyance clear in his voice.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?", one boy behind me asks.

"Guess you'll find out", our leader smirks. But he was right. They would not kill off their initiates at the beginning, just test their bravery.

So I step forward, towards the ledge, towards Eric.

"Guess I will", I grin and look over the ledge, the grin instantly leaving my face as I see the deep drop. Eric smirks down at me.

"Go on then...Stiff."

I scowl and grab the hem of my dress, pulling it over my head, leaving me in my brother's pants and the longsleeved shirt.

"Yeah stiff, take it off ", a Candor boy jokes then adds: "Now put it back on."

I roll my eyes.

"You should enjoy it, seeing that this will be the only time a woman ever strips for you", I tease and raise my middle finger, seeing the corners of Eric's mouth curl up ever so slightly.

I climb up on the ledge and take a deep breath. Somewhere down there is my brother. And that is all I need to jump. And then fall and fall and fall.

The air is knocked out of my lungs as my back collides with a net and I bounce up and down a couple of times before coming to rest, laughing, but also almost crying because of my back.

Looking up I see heads peeking over the ledge, wanting to see if I died or not.

The net tilts and I fall into strong arms.

"What's your name init...."

I look up into the face of the man who holds me up.

"Tobes..."

"Your name. You may choose a new one, but choose wisely, you don't get to pick again."

I narrow my eyes at him, but then see him smile. His smile. The one he only ever gave me.

"Tessa."

"First jumper, Tessa!", he calls out, smiling proudly and cheers erupt from around us.

Uriah jumps next and behind that is Beatrice. Tris now. And the way she looks at my brother. She definitely has a crush.

"My name is Four! Usually, I work at surveillance, but for time being, I'll be your trainer, with Eric overseeing training as well."

"Four like the number", Christina asks and I turn to her.

"No, Four as in the letter."

I see my brother hiding a smirk.

After the grand tour of the compound, which mainly involved the pit and the surrounding shops as well as the chasm, we arrived at our accommodations.

Four, as my brother now calls himself, walks back out after telling us to change and I see most girls gaze after him. I roll my eyes and change into the black pants and with my back facing the wall, the tight black shirt, leather jacket and black combat boots.

Tris has her bed next to mine, which stands in the corner, close to the exit and far from the bathroom.

I am one of the first to hurry back out of the dormitory, burn my old clothes and walk into the cafeteria, where Uriah and Marlene, Sammy and another girl sit at a table, waving me towards them.

"Look at you, first jumper", he smiles at me.

"Well, someone had to. And it's not as if they would kill all their initiates off at the beginning."

Marlene nods and gestures to the food on the table. "Eat."

"Oh and I am Lynn, by the way", the dark-haired girl introduces herself.

"Tessa."

"I know."

I look at the meat and the buns confused and decide to take some of the salad.

"It's a burger. Have you never had a burger before?", Sammy asks.

"Nope. Meat and seasoned foods are deemed unnecessary and therefore selfish at Abnegation."

"No wonder you left. Here, you pile it. And use some of the hot sauce."

I do as they show me and moan once I bite into the meat.

"My gosh, this is good", I mumble.

"Wait until you eat the cake", Uriah laughs and Sammy nods then gestures to my brother.

"Isn't he absolutely gorgeous? I mean look at that ass."
I almost choke on my food.

"He isn't my type."

Lynn shakes her head. "That guy is everybody's type. As is Eric. Oh, just imagine them shirtless. I mean, you can't tell me that Eric isn't hot."

"Okay, so his tattoos are hot", I admit and Marlene adds: "and so is everything else about him."

I look around and see Tris sitting with some other transfers. Christina and Will and some other boy. Sitting next to my brother, whose eyes lock with mine, a silent conversation flowing between us. We will talk. Soon. I turn back around.

"That was some...intense eye contact", Sammy comments.

"Just wanted to look. Still not my type though."

Sammy shakes his head. "Liar, Liar, pants on fire."

Just as I am about to ask what the hell he means, cups get banged onto the table and Max, the head of the Dauntless leaders steps forward. Everybody gets up from their seats, I follow the example.

"Welcome, Initiates, to Dauntless! You choose the warrior faction, where we believe in ordinary acts of bravery. Our job is to keep everyone in this city save, from threats from the out and the inside. Do your best and do us proud!"

Cheers and more banging of cups, clapping. Then initiates are lifted up and I slowly back away from the crowd, but some hands hold me.

"Don't even think about it", I hiss at the two Dauntless members which seem irritated but leave me be. At the exit, a calloused hand grabs mine, pulls me down a few hallways, into a cleft in the rock wall.

"Resie", my brother mumbles and pulls me into a tight hug, which I return.

"Look at you, you've grown so much!"

I smile up at him.

"Says you! Puberty hit you hard. You are the girls' crush number one. And Sammys. The way Tris looked at you..."

"Whatever. What are you doing here?", he asks, holding me at arms-length.

"Following you. And my test result."

He pulls me close again.

"By all the gods. I have missed you. And I am so sorry. So, so sorry, for leaving you behind."

This time I push him back slightly.

"Shut up. I told you to leave, would have personally dragged your hand above any other bowl. You used your chance. So did I. And now we're free."

He presses a kiss to my forehead.

"That we are. I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow at training. But they can't know yet, otherwise, they might believe that you get favours because of our relation."

"Okay. See you Tobes."

With that, he is gone and I am left in the cleft grinning from ear to ear. I had my brother back.

Now I just have to find my way back to the dorm.