Chapter XIV

I am reminded then that it is the last day of stage one and that means that it is my birthday this weekend. I am pretty sure that my ranking is good, considering I beat Sammy and that my team won capture the flag. I do worry about Tris though. But Eric let her stay for Capture the flag and she got it, so maybe...just maybe she made it.

In the pit, Uriah organizes some drinks. Something called Bacardi Sprite for me and Marlene, beer for the others.

"Initiates, gather around!", Eric yells, Max is also by the board.

"If you are ranked above the red line you move onto the second stage of training. If you are below it, we'll waste no more time on you", he announces, "here are your rankings."

Edward

Peter

Uriah

Andrew

Tessa

Sarah

Sammy

Lynn

20. Tris

I cheer. For myself, my friends and for Tris, who smiles brightly. I look around and find Edward who I see grin for the first time. "Good job", I say to him and he nods.

"You too. We need to spar sometime soon", he states and I nod in agreement. It could only help.

"Well, the next thing is the emotional stage, but Uriah said that his brother said that you have most of the day free. So then?"

"Sure. You need to teach me the last move you did on Sammy."

"I will", I smile and return to Sammy's side, who throws his arm over my shoulder.

"My friend's kicking butt. I am so proud Tessie."

Uriah also joins us. "Kicking your butt and shooting mine."

We laugh and it feels so good. I don't know the last time I laughed back in Abnegation. Probably when Tobias was still there. Only now he is a little bitch and can't even look at me. Not even now. Ranking that good. His eyes are on Tris. I roll my eyes.

"I am gonna go pee", I announce to my friends and leave the Pit, wandering around, finding another gym with more machines, something that looks like a kindergarten and the weaponry.

"Are you an initiate?", the dark-skinned man behind the counter questions.

"Uhm, yeah. Tessa."

"Ohh, you're Tessa...my brother talked about you and Four did too."

"Uhm..."

"Oh, I am Zeke, Uriah's older brother and a friend of Fours", the man explains.

"Oh. That explains it. What did Four say exactly?"

A smirk plays on Zeke's lips.

"That he thinks you like Eric and he doesn't like that."

"Has he told you why that is?"

"Eric is..."

"An asshole? I know that, but I also know that he hasn't killed me yet and I, most of the time, believe in second chances."

He nods.

"Well, I don't know why Four cares so much, but...Good Luck."

"Thanks, Zeke."

"Oh, and you made 5th, congratulations."

I smile and wave at him, then make my way back to the Pit after having taken a deep breath, when seeing my brother talk to Tris. So he could talk to her. Great.