Chapter IV

I am quite sure we turned left, which means now I have to turn right. I do and run into a dead-end. So back and right, then left and another end. I huff, turn and walk back again.

"What are you doing here, initiate?", someone growls. I turn and stand in front of Eric, who is glowering at me.

"Uhmm, exploring..."

"This is a restricted area."

"Whoopsie?"

"Leave", he commands.

"What do you think I am trying to do?"

"Do I look like I care?"

I take a deep breath. "Obviously you do, otherwise you wouldn't bother me on my quest to find the dorm."

"Watch your mouth, Stiff."

"The name is Tessa. Now have a good day", I say and turn on my heel, walking down the hallway.

"That's the wrong way!", he calls out when I reach the turn and see that it is a dead-end. Again.

"I realize that!", I grumble and hear him chuckle.

"Asshat."

"What was that?", he asks, suddenly very close behind me, his breath tickling my neck. I gulp.

"Nothing."

And then I am lifted up and thrown over his shoulder, his arm holding me, very close to my butt, while his butt is very close to my face.

And then we walk through the hallways and I grit my teeth.

"While I do enjoy the view, I'd like to walk", I say with an almost teasing tone, forgetting who exactly was carrying me. But instead of my feared reaction, he tightens his grip around my thighs and throws me back over, now carrying me almost bridal style.

"Are you flirting? Stiff?"

"Nope, just stating facts...asshat."

And then he drops me, slowing my fall only that I land on my butt and not on my back.

"Go get rest, training starts tomorrow and I don't tolerate tardiness."

With a growl I push myself off the ground and dust off my pants, looking at his retreating figure, only releasing the breath I have been holding once he turns the corner. This could have gone very, very wrong. But we were in the hallway leading to the dorm. So I see that thing that just happened as an absolute win.

-----*------

The next morning I sit by my brother at breakfast, talking to Tris and meeting her new friends, Christina, Al and Will. Each looks more tired than the other after being unkindly woken up by my brother.

Someone grumbles about not offering the cake for breakfast and I smile into my hot chocolate, a drink that I decided I will love dearly forever.

We are led into the training room, or one of them, assuming that the Dauntless-born initiates train somewhere and the other people living here do too.

Eric yells at us for a little, telling us about the ranking and the fact that you can get cut and live factionless, which is why we should train hard and always feel watched.

As if I wasn't being watched already. By Peter, who was glaring daggers at me.

"Today you will learn how to shoot a gun, or try to learn", Eric explains and reveals the closet behind him, filled with guns and ammunition.