chapter 9

Italics - Sign Language

"We're almost there," the Conductor said, leading them through the darkness with only a torch to light the road in front of them.

"Where the hell is Jesper?" Kaz wondered angrily.

Daemon wasn't surprised at his absence. Jesper was always late. And if he turned up with trouble following behind him...well, that wouldn't shock her either.

"Just a little further."

The Conductor walked them all the way up to a sign that had a landmine warning on it. Daemon tensed, wondering if it had been his plan to blow them up all along. She knew he was suspicious. She should've killed him when she had the chance. Or she should have let Inej kill him back in Ketterdam.

"Landmines."

The three Crows stopped behind the sign while the Conductor continued on.

"We'll wait," Kaz told him, "Follow the path that you carve."

The Conductor turned around, "That sign, that was my idea to keep people away. Can't be too careful. We're fine. Come."

When Kaz went to follow, Daemon stopped him, "I smell something weird here. I don't think that sign is lying."

Kaz paused for a moment, thinking over her words, "Just follow behind him carefully. We'll be fine."

"Kaz, I don't trust him!" her signs were firm, tense.

"You don't have to trust him, Daemon. Just trust me."

Daemon watched after him in exasperation as he began to walk after the Conductor.

Inej put a hand on her arm, "Come on."

Daemon huffed and hesitantly followed, tip toeing carefully over the field. They eventually reached a set of train tracks.

"It's one thing hearing about it, but this is-"

The Conductor cut Inej off, "Nothing compared to what lies within."

He handed the torch to Inej, walking closer to the darkness of the Fold. Daemon looked at the Fold with childlike wonder. It was certainly daunting. But she wasn't as frightened as she thought she was going to be. She took in a deep inhale, noticing that the darkness had a scent like tea tree oil and cinnamon.

The Conductor pulls a lever and a train rolls out from the darkness and into their sight, "Here. So, goat, jurda. Thank you. Now we're just waiting on..."

"Wait for me!" Jesper screamed out.

They all turned to look. Jesper was running past the sign as a group of angry people chased him, firing shots at him. Daemon's face was completely deadpan. She figured he would do something like this.

The Conductor grabbed the torch and put it out, "They can't see the train."

"Jesper, get here now!"

"Leave the lantern!" Inej added.

"Landmines! Oh, wait for me! Don't you go without me!"

Daemon climbed into the train last, keeping the door open for Jesper. He quickly climbed aboard, a sack over his shoulder filled with coal. Daemon quickly closed the door with a sigh.

"Please tell me you have 20 pounds of alabaster coal," the Conductor said, turning on the lanterns in the train.

Jesper cringed, "Slight snag in the plan. Turns out that the kid who was helping me buy the coal didn't exactly know how to, uh, buy coal."