chapter 21

AN: Ok so I'm pretty far with my prewriting so I've decided to release the second chapter for season 2. Enjoy!

Italics - Sign Language

Daemon blew a stubborn piece of hair out of her face as she stalked in the shadows. Her eyes were fixated on a sharp knife left out. In a flash, she dashed over to it, took it, and disappeared once again. She did this twice more before meeting back with Inej and handing her the stolen blades. She herself hadn't lost any of her own knives, which she was grateful for. They were a nice gift from the crows, after all. Jesper, Inej, and Kaz had pitched in equal amounts of money for them.

The two then swiftly made their way to the Menagerie and dropped down in front of one of the girls that worked there. The woman looked a little nervous when she saw Daemon, but as soon as she saw Inej, she relaxed.

"Eshana," Inej greeted her.

Eshana grinned, "Inej. You're back. It's not safe for you on the streets right now."

"Tell me why, Who's been murdered and who pointed at us for it?"

Daemon looked around cautiously. She kept feeling eyes on her and that weird smell hadn't gone away yet. Which was saying something since Ketterdam itself had a pretty strong scent. Daemon pushed her hands into her pockets, grasping tightly onto her knives to make herself feel a little better. She hated being followed.

"Daemon, let's go," Inej's voice brought her from her thoughts.

Daemon did one more once over of the area, but when she didn't see anything out of the ordinary, she followed Inej.

~

"We are in the literal bottom of the Barrel," Daemon heard Jesper complain as she made her way to him and Kaz.

"Stadwatch don't patrol down here. We're safer. Inej, what did you find?" Kaz asked without turning around.

Daemon walked to Kaz's side, her arm lightly brushing against his as a form of comfort. He looked ok. And he seemed ok. But one look at his face told her that he was nowhere near that.

Kaz didn't even look in her direction and immediately put distance between them. That was odd. Daemon's brows furrowed in confusion. She didn't think she had done anything wrong. So why was he upset with her?

"We're accused of murdering Tante Heleen," Inej told them.

Jesper stopped in his tracks, "Wait, what? We didn't do that, though. Wait, did you do that?"

Inej gave him a look and Daemon clicked her tongue with a roll of her eyes.

"It was Pekka Rollins, wasn't it? He framed us for murder," Kaz assumed.

Daemon had to bite her tongue to keep her anger from boiling over at the name. Suddenly she caught a smell that really freaked her out. Tea tree oil and cinnamon. The same scent that had come from General Kirigan and the Fold. She took a step back and looked around, taking a deep sniff. But it was gone. Maybe it was all in her head. She hoped it was all in her head.

"He wanted to punish us for taking the job after he warned you off."

"But why take it out on Tante Heleen?" Jesper wondered.

"She held the deed to the Crow Club," Kaz revealed, "We cut a deal so Inej could help us with the Sun Summoner, so Rollins killed her."

"He owns the club. Everyone who works there now works for Pekka Rollins. There's more," Inej rolled up her sleeve to reveal her tattoo.

"The Menagerie."

"He owns that now too. Along with everything else the Menagerie owns."

Jesper sighed, "So, Stadwatch are everywhere and Pekka is untouchable. Never thought i'd miss the Fold."