chapter 27

AN: I think you will all be happy to know that I am very very close to finishing prewriting the season. Like I only have one or two chapters left. Which means updates will be very frequent. Probably almost every day unless I have a busy day where I can't upload for some reason. I just want to prepare you guys that things are going to get pretty rough from here. Daemon is going to go through a lot. So feel free to start discussions or tell me how you're feeling and stuff. I know I've made some people cry already and I feel bad so if anyone needs to talk about it, I'm here!
With that, enjoy your new chapter!

Italics - Sign Language

Daemon stared at the ceiling, absentmindedly fiddling with her necklace as she waited for someone to come back. Night had already fallen and she was starting to get bored. She wasn't allowed to pace or anything and she was too scared to sleep for fear of nightmares, so she had nothing to do. And a bored Daemon was never good.

She didn't have to wait long though as a moment later, the front door slammed open and shut. The sound of a cane clicking against the stone floor made Daemon jump up and limp to the front room. Her eyes went wide as she saw blood dripping down Kaz's face and bruises were beginning to form.

"I'm fine," he said before she could ask.

Daemon slowly nodded. She was going to talk to him about everything, but he seemed a bit too worked up right now to do so. So she would postpone it until later.

Kaz pulled out a flask and took a shaky drink, leaning against a sill. Daemon moved to stand just next to him and lean against the wall. She would be right there if he needed her. As always.

The front door opened and Daemon smiled brightly when Jesper and Wylan came in. She waved happily.

Jesper let out a sigh of relief, "Saints, you had us scared, Dae. Don't do that again."

Daemon limped over to give him a tight hug, giggling when Jesper lifted her up and spun her around before setting her back down. He grabbed her face and gave her a sloppy kiss on the forehead, which she was quick to wipe off.

Wylan opened his mouth to say something, but the atmosphere fell when Kaz turned around to reveal the blood on him.

"The Dregs have opted to join us. Well?" Kaz waited for Jesper to tell him what he found.

Jesper's face fell, "Yeah, you were right. No glass factory, just a country estate."

"Was the boy there? What's his name?"

Daemon looked confused, "Boy? What boy?"

Jesper avoided eye contact with the both of them.

"Don't pretend otherwise. He renamed the Crow Club the Kaelish Prince and Pekka would never see himself as anything other than a king. So, what is the boy's name?" Kaz stepped uncomfortably close to Jesper.

"Alby. Alby Rollins."

Daemon reeled back at the sound of that name. Pekka Rollins had a son.

"What are you gonna do with him?" Wylan asked as Kaz walked away.

"Kaz, he's just a kid."

Daemon put her hands up to calm Wylan and Jesper before following Kaz. She stood in front of him, tapping her finger on the wall to get his attention.

"Kaz, I know you. I know you aren't going to kill a child. No matter how angry you are."

Kaz glared at her, "Are you so sure about that?"

Daemon answered without a second thought, "Yes! I am! I trust you with my life, Kaz. And I trust you to do the right thing. If you want to prove me wrong so badly, go ahead. I dare you. But I can't pick up those pieces. I won't."