chapter 31

AN: Um...surprise? 😳 Another one

Italic - Sign Language

Tolya, Inej and Zoya stood in front of an altar in the streets of Shu, with the others waiting behind them. Daemon was standing shoulder to shoulder with Kaz, her hand over her nose. It didn't smell bad. Not at all. But all the new smells were overwhelming her just a bit.

It was interesting to watch Tolya pray in front of the altar with sticks of incense in hand. Daemon thought perhaps she should pray as well, but she didn't know what she would say.

Tolya stood and Nina and Zoya took his place in kneeling by Inej in front of the altar.

Tolya approached the group with food in hand, "Just so you know, it's considered bad luck not to honor the dead during Suntsa Sar."

Jesper scoffed, "If I truly believed in luck, i'd be in a lot less debt."

"And I'm more concerned with the living than the dead," Kaz added.

"Tend not to your ghosts and they will come back hungry," Tolya quoted.

Daemon stared at him. She wondered if she had any ghosts that would come back to haunt her. The only dead person she knew about was her mother, and she still couldn't remember her face.

"The tea shop should be open now," Kaz walked away.

Tolya offered up some of his food, to which Jesper declined, but Daemon held out her hand happily. Tolya smiled, ripping off a piece for her. Daemon did a short happy dance upon tasting it. She quite liked the food in Shu.

"Tolya, uh, I was actually looking to buy some firing powders. Do you want to come?" Wylan asked, avoiding eye contact with Jesper.

Daemon nudged Jesper, "What did you do to him?"

"Wha-? You know what, go follow after Kaz, little puppy," Jesper ruffled her hair.

Daemon stuck her tongue out at him, but did as told. She quickly caught up with Kaz, being careful not to bump into anyone.

"You two, we have a teatime to make," Kaz addressed Nina and Inej.

Inej looked to Daemon, conveying her annoyance in her gaze before following Kaz. Daemon hooked her arm with Inej's.

"What do you think the tea will taste like?" Daemon wondered.

"I don't know. We won't get to try any," Inej pointed out.

Daemon huffed in disappointment, "That's a shame. I bet it'll be florally or sweet. Hey, Nina, tell me if it tastes good, yeah?"

Nina tilted her head in confusion when Daemon signed at her, "Sorry, Dae, I only caught 'Nina' and 'Yes'."

Daemon had been trying her best to teach Nina her language while they were on the way to Shu. She was learning quite quickly, but she was definitely no where near fluent.

"The second sign was actually 'yeah.' And she was asking if you would tell her what the yellow chrysanthemum tea tastes like," Inej relayed to her.

"So 'yeah' and 'yes' are different?"

Daemon fell back to walk by her. She signed 'yeah', and then 'yes.' They were similar signs, but still different. With 'yeah' looking a bit more informal, like a swish of the wrist.

"I see. Then 'yes'. I will," Nina said, trying to sign it to her.

"You can teach her later, Daemon. Hurry it up, Heartrender."

Nina leaned in close, "How do I say ' condescending asshole'?"

Kaz, as if he had sensed what she had said, glared at Daemon over his shoulder with a 'don't you dare' look. Daemon held her hands up in surrender, but as soon as he turned his back, showed Nina the signs.