chapter 20

Italics - Sign Language

Four figures stepped into the streets of Ketterdam once more, looking around as if they hadn't seen the sights in years. Kaz Brekker, Inej Ghafa, Jesper Fahey, and Daemon. They had finally returned from their trip across the Fold.

Jesper breathed in deeply, "Home sweet home. Straight off the boat from Ravka and no one was waiting to kill us as soon as we arrived."

Daemon clicked her tongue, wiggling her fingers excitedly. She was hoping to go straight to the Crow Club and crash in her bed for a while. Her arm was killing her. Not to mention she kept smelling that weird Druskelle and Grisha mixture. It was lingering around them, but she didn't know if she should say anything. Strong smells did tend to linger after all.

Jesper nudged Daemon's side as they walked, "How about we celebrate with a little dice and debauchery, eh Dae?"

"You're kind of debauchery or mine?" Daemon asked playfully.

Kaz glared at the two, mostly Jesper for influencing Daemon, "No debauchery."

"Dice then."

"No dice. We have stops to make."

Daemon groaned and skipped forward so Kaz could see her hands, "Can't I just go back home? I'm tired and my arm burns. I need to treat it soon."

"What's first? Tante Heleen?" Inej asked.

"We get to the Crow Club. You can treat your arm there, Daemon, but we won't be staying long," Kaz told her.

Daemon pouted lightly. She was exhausted. Normally she wouldn't be so annoyed about running errands, but she was serious when she said she wanted to chill out for a while. She needed to process everything that had happened. The Fold, Kirigan, meeting a literal Saint. Almost dying. Yeah, her heart still felt weird after all that. She was pretty sure her heartbeat was totally out of whack. If that was even a thing.

"Aw, is little Dae Dae all tired? Does she need a nap?" Jesper cooed mockingly.

Daemon glared at him over her shoulder and showed him her middle finger. Jesper gasped, putting his hand over his chest in mock offense. Inej shook her head at the two, but she was happy to see that Daemon was recovering nicely.

Daemon turned back around, only to see Kaz give her a look of disapproval.

Daemon quickly ducked her head, "He started it."

The four made it to the front of the Crow Club, but it all went wrong there. Everything was wrong. Daemon's heart sank low when she saw the Crow Club sign was gone, replaced with a green sign that had a crown on it. It read 'The Kaelish Prince' on it. Her bottom lip trembled and she bit the inside of her cheek harshly to reign in her anger.

How dare they deface her home like this? The only true home she had ever known was ripped right out from underneath her. And they thought they could just get away with it? Well, not on her watch.

"Where's our sign?" Jesper asked.

"It's been replaced."

"'The Kaelish Prince'?"

Daemon stalked forward angrily to rip the sign down, but Kaz barred her from moving any further with his cane. She glared at the cane for a few seconds, tempted to push it away, but she backed down after a few moments. If Kaz didn't want her to make a scene about it, she wouldn't...for now.

"What sort of name is that?"

"Dime Lions," Kaz observed a tattoo on a nearby man's neck.

"Pekka Rollins owns the Crow Club?" Inej panicked.

"Where does that leave us? Are you saying we have no home?"

Daemon turned to Kaz and saw his wide eyed gaze on the floor. His entire body had tensed up. Daemon grabbed onto his cane, right below where his own hand was. Kaz's eyes flickered up to meet her own. Daemon was angry, but her concern for Kaz preceded that. Always. Kaz slid his gloved hand down shakily to brush against hers.

"My suits. All my hats," Jesper complained.

Kaz took his cane away from Daemon's grasp, "Split up. It's not safe. Daemon, you too."

Daemon made a noise of disagreement, shaking her head. She wasn't going to leave him. But, in the end, she didn't have to as a whistle sounded and a group of Stadwatch rounded the corner.

"Halt! You four! Hands up!" a Stadwatch member pointed his gun at us, his colleagues soon following.

Inej pulled Daemon close to her with a look from Kaz. If it came down to it, Inej would have to take Daemon away with her. Daemon was still a slave after all. If they were caught, Inej would be sent straight back to Heleen, and Daemon would be placed somewhere less than satisfactory.

"Kaz Brekker. Jesper Fahey. Daemon. And Inej Ghafa. It was only a matter of time before you turned up."

"Is there a problem?"

"For you? Yeah. You're wanted for murder."

Jesper dropped his arms, "What? We just got back in town. Unless it's a crime to kill Volcra."

The officer gave a sarcastic smile, "Very funny, gunslinger. Now, slowly, hand over those shooters. And you. Give up the cane."

Inej grabbed Daemon and dragged her away as silently as possible. They were on the rooftop before anyone could notice. Daemon tried to tug away from Inej, her heart pounding quickly at the thought of something bad happening to Kaz, but Inej's grip was steel in this moment.

When they were a safe distance away, Daemon ripped away from Inej, "I can't leave him there!"

Inej signed back, "And what good would it be if you were caught too? They would hand you straight over to the highest bidder. Kaz needs you safe. Jesper needs you safe. I need you safe! And if anything were to happen to you, how would we find you? We'd be lucky enough if someone in Ketterdam were to buy you, but if you're sent off on another ship, you'll be gone! Maybe for good! We can't do this without you! Kaz would be heartbroken! Please! Think of yourself! For once!"

Daemon's shoulders relaxed and she looked away to avoid the tears coming to her eyes. Inej was right. No matter how much she wanted to save Kaz and Jesper, it would do no good if she was caught too. So, for once, she would have to do the smart thing and leave.

"Are you with me?" Inej asked, brows raised in inquisition.

Daemon smiled, her heart warming as she thought of what Kaz would say in this moment. Something very similar to that. Except he would say it much more matter of factly. 'I need you here with me.' And right now, Inej needed her. And Kaz needed her to be with Inej.

Daemon took a deep breath and nodded, "I'm with you."

Inej reached forward, placing her hands on Daemon's cheeks affectionately, "Good. Now first, I need to get some new weapons. Then we'll go to the Menagerie. The girls there will give us more information. Just stay strong."

Daemon took in one more deep breath, fiddling with the chain of her necklace a few times before steeling herself enough to go on. A strong feeling lurked just under her skin and she felt like it would boil over any minute.

She didn't know what it was these days, but ever since she met Kirigan and that Heartrender had almost killed her, she had felt this darkness brewing underneath her skin. It was screaming at her to come out. And when she looked at General Kirigan, she didn't want to admit it, but something about him felt familiar to her. And that...that scared her more than anything.

AN: This will probably be my only authors note. Schedule for release is every Sunday until I'm done prewriting all the chapters. Once I'm done prewriting updates will be twice a week. Enjoy! This will be a rough ride!