chapter 43

"We're done here. I'll send word to each of you after I find us a ship, but be ready to sail by tomorrow night," Kaz said.

"So soon?" Inej asked.

"We don't know what kind of weather we'll hit, and there's a long journey ahead of us. Hringkalla is our best shot at Bo Yul-Bayur. I'm not going to risk losing it. Jesper, keep Wylan out of trouble."

"Why me?"

"He's your boyfriend," Daemon pointed out.

"Oh yeah...he is, isn't he?" Jesper smirked.

"You don't need to worry about that," Wylan said.

Kaz nearly rolled his eyes, "I worry about everything. That's why I'm still alive. And you can keep an eye on Jesper too."

"On me?" Jesper looked offended.

Nearly everyone in the room gave him a look.

"Yes, you," Kaz handed him a stack of kruge, "This is for bullets, not bets. Wylan, make sure his feet don't mysteriously find their way into a gambling den on his way to buy ammunition, understood?"

"Oh, come on. When have I ever used mission money for gambling?"

"Arken's train," Inej immediately said.

"On the bank heist a year ago."

Kaz didn't even have to say anything.

Jesper sighed, "Fair enough."

Kaz handed another stack to Wylan and another to Nina, "Stock up for the journey only. If this works the way I think it will, we're going to have to enter the Ice Court empty-handed."

Kaz handed one more stack to Inej, "I'll need you to get cold weather gear. There's a shop on the Wijnstraat that supplies trappers. Start there."

"What about Daemon? She doesn't have to run any errands," Jesper complained lightheartedly.

"She'll be helping me, if you must know, Jesper," Kaz glared at him.

Daemon stuck her tongue out at Jesper, "Yeah, I get to stay with Kaz, Jesper."

"Cheeky little fox."

"You think to approach from the north?" Matthias asked.

Kaz nodded, "The Djerholm harbor is crawling with customs agents, and i'm going to bet they'll be tightening security during your big party."

"It isn't a party," Matthias snapped.

"It sounds like a party," Jesper said.

Matthias practically deflated, "It isn't supposed to be a party."

Daemon smiled, "It's ok, Matthias! Parties are super fun and cool! And parties can be for important stuff too. Like birthdays!"

Matthias looked entirely confused as he watched the small girl make rapid hand gestures in his direction. The only hint he had that what she was saying was in any way positive was the large smile on her face and the happy glint in her eyes.

Nina snorted in amusement at the look on Matthias' face. She remembered when her face looked just like that when she was learning Daemon's language.

"She said-"

"Don't. He doesn't need to know anything," Kaz cut Nina off.

Nina rolled her eyes, "It's not like he'll remember the signs."

"I don't care."

Kaz didn't want Daemon to get attached to him. He didn't trust Matthias in the slightest bit.