chapter 38

AN: Here's a little gift for you guys! I missed writing Daemon so so much. Also, keep in mind that from now on, I am using the books more as a guideline than actually following them completely!

~

Daemon felt almost bored with the routine that had come back into her life.

Months had passed since they had rebuilt the Crow Club. Since Inej had left them, leaving a hole in Daemon's heart that she knew couldn't be filled by anyone else but the beautiful Wraith.

Nina had come back from Hellgate without her love, Matthias. She had been devastated upon her return, nearly collapsing in Daemon's arms as she cried. She wasn't the same as she had been before.

Jesper and Wylan were attached at the hip when Jesper wasn't working at the club. They were always in their own little world.

It made Daemon feel almost lonely these days. While everything had gone back to normal in some ways, her family being broken apart made Daemon feel anything but normal.

The only one to remain as her constant was Kaz. Just as he always had been. He had slowly crept closer and closer to her, getting more comfortable in their relationship. It was slow but steady, especially with their engagement.

Daemon smiled as she fiddled with the ring on her finger whilst watching over her table. She grabbed a deck of cards, expertly shuffling it before dealing out the cards to the men seated at the table.

"Wait, wait! Room for one more?" Jesper inquired as he nearly slammed himself into the last open seat, flashing Daemon a smirk, "Hello there my dear Dae."

Daemon shook her head with a smile before placing some cards in front of him, "You better hope Kaz doesn't see you."

Jesper leaned forward, "You gonna tell on me?"

Daemon just smiled in return. She was brought back to years ago, just before they traveled on the train, to a situation just the same.

"Have I told you that you look absolutely stunning today?" Jesper commented as he began to play.

Daemon rose a brow at him, wondering where this was going. She didn't look all that different from usual. Her coily hair neatly braided back with little trinkets woven in sparsely. Her clothes were the same as always since she had allowed herself to buy new ones and stopped borrowing all of Kaz's.

Jesper continued, "Because you do. You're an absolute vision. I mean, just look at you."

Daemon snapped her fingers twice to get his attention, "I'm not cheating the game for you to win, Jes. You play fair or not at all."

Jesper gasped dramatically with his hand on his chest, "Daemon, I can't believe you would ever think-"

"Jesper, stop bothering Daemon. You have a job to do," Kaz's voice came from behind him, unimpressed and laced with annoyance.

Jesper made a face, "Oh, come on, boss. Just one game?"

Kaz glared at him, "The door."

Jesper put his hands up in surrender, pushing himself to stand, "Ok. Fine. I'm going."

Daemon turned her smile to Kaz, her eyes bright with happiness at the very sight of him. His own expression remained stern in the face of the patrons, but she could see the way his eyes softened as he looked right back at her.

One of the men at the table snapped his fingers, demanding another card. He seemed drunk and quite rude.

Kaz glared at the man, sorely tempted to do the thousands of things that crossed his mind to hurt him. But when Daemon shook her head subtly and handed the man a card, he stepped back.