chapter 12

Italics - Sign Language

"Got any plans up your sleeve?" Inej asked Kaz.

Daemon chugged the ale in front of her, keeping a straight face the entire time. She had a very high alcohol tolerance. In her eighth home, they neglected her needs quite a bit. She would be locked in the cellar with no access to water for days. So sometimes she would have to resort to drinking the expensive alcohol. It was absolutely disgusting, but Daemon got accustomed to it after a while.

Kaz said nothing, simply giving Inej a defeated look.

Jesper shrugged, "I mean, Kribirsk isn't the worst. We can open up a bar. Brew East Ravkan beer for the westerners?"

"Shut up, Jesper," Inej and Kaz said at the same time.

"Oh, come on. Daemon thought it was a good idea. Right, Daemon?" he looked at her with pleading eyes.

Daemon turned her body away from him, her actions saying everything.

Jesper sipped on his beer, "I miss Milo."

The Conductor walked over with a smile, "Friends."

Daemon hated the look on his face. That smile made her uncomfortable.

"What are you so cheery about?" Kaz questioned him.

The Conductor led a man over, "This is Marko. Marko is the leader of the traveling troupe known as the Pomdrakon Players. They have been invited to perform in this year's winter fete."

"A lifelong dream," Marko added.

"Yes, yes. A chance to get inside the Little Palace. But they lost their star performer due to an unfortunate freak accident. They are in desperate need of someone with the skills to replace their star performer, and as Ketterdam's premier talent manager, I had an idea."

They all turned to Inej as he said this. She certainly had the skills.

"As a friend once said, 'If I can't crack this, none of us are going anywhere.'" Inej handed Daemon her daggers with a small smile.

"I'll keep them safe for you," Daemon promised.

And then, they put on a performance.

Daemon watched with awe as Inej performed on the silks. She twisted and turned and dropped and climbed with a grace Daemon only dreamed of having. Daemon had always looked up to Inej, but it was even more so now. But Daemon also envied her beauty and femininity, knowing that she could never achieve such a thing. Hell, even her name was made for a man. Not to mention whenever she tried to be just a little bit girly, Jesper would laugh at her. But still, Daemon smiled at Inej, pushing away anything other than love for the girl she saw as a sister.

Everyone clapped as Inej finished and walked towards Marko for review. Of course, he loved every bit of her, complimenting her very existence.

Marko held up a rainbow outfit, "Now, can you fit into this?"

Jesper quickly interjected, "Of course she can. Those are her colors, but the thing is, Inej...comes as part of a package deal."

"No free rides," Marko said, "What are your talents?"

Jesper, of course, showed off his marksmanship. Shooting at a card in Inej's mouth while he faced the other way.

Marko laughed and even hugged Jesper, welcoming him to the act.

Marko turned to Kaz and Daemon, "Stage is yours."

Kaz gave him a deadpan look, "We'll make our own way."